FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Drove the Delorean for the first time.

My VIN:    10270

On a cold day it can take a while for things to warm up if only idling.

I checked a recent data log. At 44F ambient, it took my car 12 minutes to pass 180F (sensor is in the Y-pipe). And that's with a warm-up 1300RPM idle.

Radiator pipes would have definitely been cold that entire time.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Thanks for the replies guys.

Exhaust- it is the catalytic converter that is getting red. I know they are supposed to get hot, but red hot at idle? I had a truck get one clogged and it burnt a valve. I think I need to check this out quick.

The water temp is a tricky one. The fans have been tested and they work. (Jumper at the sensor) hot water is not getting to the rad, so I would suspect the pump or the thermostat. The heater works, so wouldn't that indicate the thermostat? But why isn't the guage going up? I guess I could have a sensor failure also, but it's not like the guage is dead. (It just reads low.)

It would seem like a plugged converter would make the engine run hot.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    On a cold day it can take a while for things to warm up if only idling.

I checked a recent data log. At 44F ambient, it took my car 12 minutes to pass 180F (sensor is in the Y-pipe). And that's with a warm-up 1300RPM idle.

Radiator pipes would have definitely been cold that entire time.
    It was 70 F outside and I drove around the yard a couple laps (10 acres) be fore sitting and idling for at least ten minutes. But mine was idling at about 800rpm.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the cat is glowing red it is getting too much fuel and it is burning in the convertor. The fuel plunger is probably stuck in the mixture unit. If the rad doesn't heat up you probably have air in the cooling system and the water pump can't move air. Fans should start after about 15-20 minutes of idling. Jump the "O" switch to verify the fans work.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the cat is glowing red it is getting too much fuel and it is burning in the convertor. The fuel plunger is probably stuck in the mixture unit. If the rad doesn't heat up you probably have air in the cooling system and the water pump can't move air. Fans should start after about 15-20 minutes of idling. Jump the "O" switch to verify the fans work.
    So I jumped the fuel pump and pulled one injector. It has a good spray. That's without touching the throttle. I'm thinking it should not spray untill the plate is pushed down. Correct?

If so, what should I be looking at? Where is this mixture unit?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So I jumped the fuel pump and pulled one injector. It has a good spray. That's without touching the throttle. I'm thinking it should not spray untill the plate is pushed down. Correct?

If so, what should I be looking at? Where is this mixture unit?
    Correct. Could be the Fuel Distributor's (FD/mixture unit) plunger is stuck (...as said about the cat glowing earlier).

The other end of each injector line is connected to the FD.
    I'd try removing the FD and confirm that the plunger is sticking (it normally slides out -- Be careful that the plunger does not drop out). Do not take the FD apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Correct. Could be the Fuel Distributor's (FD/mixture unit) plunger is stuck (...as said about the cat glowing earlier).

The other end of each injector line is connected to the FD.
    I'd try removing the FD and confirm that the plunger is sticking (it normally slides out -- Be careful that the plunger does not drop out). Do not take the FD apart.
    How do you remove the dist? The manual says nothing. Do the injector lines need to be removed first and bolts/screws underneath?

In other news, I decided to start the car with the air cleaner off. It will rev up fine now, but it won't idle. (The air cleaner is brand new.) so I guess the air cleaner is restricting just enough air that the rich fuel will bog the engine.

I pulled the muffler and cat. The cat is clear and I left the muffler off for now. (Sounds like a youngins car)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

How do you remove the dist? The manual says nothing. Do the injector lines need to be removed first and bolts/screws underneath?

In other news, I decided to start the car with the air cleaner off. It will rev up fine now, but it won't idle. (The air cleaner is brand new.) so I guess the air cleaner is restricting just enough air that the rich fuel will bog the engine.

I pulled the muffler and cat. The cat is clear and I left the muffler off for now. (Sounds like a youngins car)
    Three standard head screws hold it in place. If they are stuck soak them in PB Blaster overnight and try again. You might need to use an impact driver(gentley) to keep from damaging the heads if they are still too tight.

You can remove the distributer to check plunger play with injector lines in place but that's about it. Before you put this car into service, you will need to replace the original lines with new braided lines.

I haven't seen pics of your car but you should post some just to give us an idea of what we are dealing with (and we can give you an idea). I hesitantly say you will be spending 5 figures to make your car anywhere near reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Three standard head screws hold it in place. If they are stuck soak them in PB Blaster overnight and try again. You might need to use an impact driver(gentley) to keep from damaging the heads if they are still too tight.

You can remove the distributer to check plunger play with injector lines in place but that's about it. Before you put this car into service, you will need to replace the original lines with new braided lines.

I haven't seen pics of your car but you should post some just to give us an idea of what we are dealing with (and we can give you an idea). I hesitantly say you will be spending 5 figures to make your car anywhere near reliable.
    Found the three screws. Got the dist. off. What is suppose to move under there? (Cause nothing does) I think I will U tube this.

In other news,

I ran it at 2000 rpm for about ten minutes and the thermostat opened making the rad hot. A few minutes later the fans turned on. So I guess that all works. I let it go back to idle and the fans shut off after a minute. The car does run cool, I guess.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Found the three screws. Got the dist. off. What is suppose to move under there? (Cause nothing does) I think I will U tube this.
    This guy plunger2.jpg. It's in the center bore (see arrow):

plunger.jpg
    (Your's may not have the retainer.)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast