FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Drove the Delorean for the first time.

My frame has two coats of wax Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

I just happen to have a fuel distributor laying around.

I didn't mention it but besides a new FD and CPR, if you still have the OE fuel lines, most definately new braided fuel lines. This is probably just the beginning.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-27-2021 at 08:52 PM.

It was locked. I grabbed it with a smooth pliers and twisted it back and forth. Finally it was free. Installed everything back. Checked the injector. Now no spray unless you push the plate. But of course it won't start now. It appears to me that the plate must be pushed quite a bit before it sprays. I can pour some gas in the plate and it will start and run for a few seconds. It just seems like the plate wouldn't suck down that much. I need to see what it looks like when someone else is cranking the motor.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    How do you remove the dist? The manual says nothing. Do the injector lines need to be removed first and bolts/screws underneath?

In other news, I decided to start the car with the air cleaner off. It will rev up fine now, but it won't idle. (The air cleaner is brand new.) so I guess the air cleaner is restricting just enough air that the rich fuel will bog the engine.

I pulled the muffler and cat. The cat is clear and I left the muffler off for now. (Sounds like a youngins car)
    Just one note about this... make sure the air cleaner going back on gets centred over that plate well and then push it down snug over the o-ring. I find sometimes if you remove the air filter housing while it still has the duct connected on the right side, it tends to pull down on that right side unevenly and can sit a little cock-eyed.

That plate needs to be able to move very freely for everything in the fuel/air mixture system to work correctly and you don't want to have the air filter housing pinched in on it slightly. Slide the duct off, reinstall the housing and then put the duct back together.

And like Michael suggested, post some pictures as you might be missing something obvious that you don't realize and others on here might spot for you.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My frame has two coats of wax Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    It was locked. I grabbed it with a smooth pliers and twisted it back and forth. Finally it was free. Installed everything back. Checked the injector. Now no spray unless you push the plate. But of course it won't start now. It appears to me that the plate must be pushed quite a bit before it sprays. I can pour some gas in the plate and it will start and run for a few seconds. It just seems like the plate wouldn't suck down that much. I need to see what it looks like when someone else is cranking the motor.
    It's not enough the control plunger in the distributor is unstuck, it must move freely up and down and without restriction. If it was stuck, the metering barrel is probably all gunked up too.

Last edited by Michael; 02-28-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    And like Michael suggested, post some pictures as you might be missing something obvious that you don't realize and others on here might spot for you.
    I tried to post some pics when he suggested that earlier. For some reason, it says my Supermotors URL is invalid. (It works on other forums.) If I try to post a pic right from my iPad, it says it's too big. I kind of hate puters.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's not enough the control plunger in the distributor is unstuck, it must move freely up and down and without restriction.
    The plunger/plate moves nice and smooth now. Does anybody know how far the plate moves when the fuel starts spraying? Seems like mine must move a lot before it starts. (Like a 1/2") I guess I need to start searching some videos. I know there's an adjustment, but why would it be far off? When I dump some gas in the plate, it starts right now. But as soon as the gas runs out, it shuts off like the plate was never pulled down enough to start spraying.

The other thing I noticed was the hot air valve on the air cleaner. It seems like it requires a lot of pressure to force it open. I know the spring gets soft as it warms up, but hard to believe it even opens.

My VIN:    3937

Read about the first 15 pages of Section D of the Workshop Manual (Fuel & Emissions) for an explanation and a couple good diagrams of how it works. That air metering plate is connected by direct linkage to the plunger, so the travel of one should be exactly the travel of the other.
    Attached Files

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Now you have to see why the cold start valve isn't working. That is why it won't start.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Read about the first 15 pages of Section D of the Workshop Manual (Fuel & Emissions) for an explanation and a couple good diagrams of how it works. That air metering plate is connected by direct linkage to the plunger, so the travel of one should be exactly the travel of the other.
    I've got a manual and I've read it several times. It's like a chilltons, they never seem to tell you what you need. I would really like to measure the primary and control pressure. But I don't have the fancy hose set up. If I can't rig something, I'll have to wait till the covid mail delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Now you have to see why the cold start valve isn't working. That is why it won't start.
    If I pour gas in the plate, it starts right up. It only runs for a few seconds, but it should keep running regardless of the cold start at that point. I'm thinking the control pressure is to high and it makes the plate too hard for the air to suck it down far enough to make it spray.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pouring gas in is exactly what the cold start valve does (or at least is supposed to do when it is working). Don't go off on a tangent and play with the pressures yet. Pull the cold start valve and see if sprays when trying to start up cold. You see the injectors do spray when you push on the air sensor plate so even if the pressures aren't perfect, they have to be close. If the pressures are off it is because;
    A) the Control Pressure Regulator needs to be rebuilt/re calibrated
    or
    B) the Primary Pressure Regulator needs to be shimmed to achieve the correct pressure

Neither will prevent the motor from staring but can make it run badly. The cold start valve will work properly even if the pressures are way off. It doesn't need the high, controlled pressure that the fuel injectors do.
    David Teitelbaum

Ok, I'm getting somewhere.

First, the start valve is working. If I switch the key on, I can hear the valve buzz. If I try to crank right away, nothing. If I turn the key on and wait 20 seconds and then crank, it starts right up. It only runs for a few seconds, but at least it works.

Second, I pulled an injector and jumped the fuel pump. I slowly pushed the plate down till it just started spraying. I had a dial caliper and measured 3/8" at the rear of the plate. I had no idea how far the plate sucks down when running, so I had my wife start it while I watched the plate. It started and ran for a few seconds and never got more than 1/8" open at the rear. So obviously it's running out of fuel. Just for fun I pushed the plate down about 1/2" and had her start it. Cranked right up and ran nice as long as I held it. When I released it, the plate closed to about 1/8" and it died.

I guess I need to adjust the mixture screw. Not sure why this would be out of adjustment so far. Maybe it's very sensitive. Have any of you adjusted it? Of course all the U tube videos are of Mercedes. I guess it's the same.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast