FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many of you DD (daily drive)

How many of you DD (daily drive)

I have daily driven a 30 year old Bronco for 20 years. I'm retired for 4 years now, so not as many miles, but still the only modern car we have is my wife's. (We have four cars legal on the road, soon to be six) Kind of funny, her modern car is in the shop right now.

I'm about to take a 1000 mile trip (one way) in the Bronco. How many of you would make such a trip in your Delorean? I would love to make the trip in it, but I won't have it sorted long enough to trust it by the 8th.

My VIN:    Midproduction

It really boils down to how well sorted out your car is. I daily drive mine and I'm about to move down to Florida from the DC area. I will be doing the 14-hour drive in the D. Your confidence in the car will be mostly based on how extensive the maintenance on the car has been and just taking that leap of faith on a long trip. I bought my car back in 2014 in decent condition as well - picked it up at DMC Midwest and drove it out directly from Chicago to DC the next day.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Drove mine almost 1,000 miles from Boca Raton to East Tn. the first day I had it. I have since put about 25k miles on it.

My VIN:    10907

The first time I ever drove mine was a 1400-mile road trip. I made it without a tow truck! I've since driven it on numerous interstate trips and as far as Salt Lake City to New Jersey and back , and used to drive it to work every nice day before I switched to classic car insurance. As dmcnc says, it depends on the condition of your car. I wouldn't attempt a long trip with car that just got pulled out of a barn and still has an original radiator /fuel lines/questionable fuel pump/etc. but if your car has been upgraded/maintained and is running reliably on shorter trips, it's not unthinkable to take it on a long one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    I've since driven it on numerous interstate trips and as far as Salt Lake City to New Jersey and back , and used to drive it to work every nice day before I switched to classic car insurance.
    What is the classic car ins. And how much? I haven't checked into this yet. I have a 74' VW Beetle that I only pay $200 a year for. It qualifies as a antique because it's 40 years old. My Delorean is an 81', so it will get antique plates too. Not sure about insurance though.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    What is the classic car ins. And how much? I haven't checked into this yet. I have a 74' VW Beetle that I only pay $200 a year for. It qualifies as a antique because it's 40 years old. My Delorean is an 81', so it will get antique plates too. Not sure about insurance though.
    I use Hagerty, it's more expensive than normal insurance where I live but will also theoretically pay out the full value of the car if it gets totalled (regular insurance pays "depreciated value") . Costs and coverage vary by company and location so do your research (there are some threads on here if you search for "insurance").

My VIN:    3937

I trust my car enough to drive it anywhere. I don't trust the rest of the people around it though, so daily driver mine is not. That's as much about what happens when it is parked as when it's in motion.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I trust my car enough to drive it anywhere. I don't trust the rest of the people around it though, so daily driver mine is not. That's as much about what happens when it is parked as when it's in motion.
    This is how i would sum up owning and driving mine. Trust the car, not other people on the road , in parking lots or in groups. A person is smart, people are stupid.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    This is how i would sum up owning and driving mine. Trust the car, not other people on the road , in parking lots or in groups. A person is smart, people are stupid.
    It's got to the point that I can't even take mine out for a Sunday drive anymore. People will pass me, and I watch them in my mirror slam on the brakes, turn around and proceed to tailgate me with a phone in one hand and trying to maintain the accepted 12" clearance off my bumper. I will not get gas in public unless it's necessary. I have a small ethanol free self serve island very near me. No employees, hardly a soul around. Gas stops turn onto a circus real fast anywhere else. If I stop at a store, I try to park in the back, off the side, wherever I can to minimize exposure.
    This is the downside of daily driving. I used to not be this way but more and more people are becoming less friendly or inquisitive and turning into entitled pricks and acting like utter jackasses and assholes.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-01-2021 at 08:04 AM.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Like others said, just be on top of your maintenance. Actually the more you drive it the better it gets (at least for me). You get to know the car better. You hear new little noises and fix them before they become big noises.

I drive mine as long as the ohio/michigan salt is gone. Like to photo document different places visited in the D too just for fun.
    http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/16506.htm
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast