FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R12 ac?

R12 ac?

My AC does not work. I'm in Florida, so it must work. The PO told me it did wnen parked two years ago. I am a licensed AC tech, so this is not too big of a deal. Obviously, the pressure has leaked down below the minimum to turn on the system. Back when they restricted R12, my brother bought quite a few bottles of it. So I could charge it with that. Do most of you convert to 134A? Is there less performance when you do that?

I sware there was a thread in the "how to" section titled "bullet proof AC". I figured I would read that when I got the chance. Now I can't find it. Could it have been deleted?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Expect higher pressures and lower performance with 134a.

Maybe this link?:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...ofing-your-A-C

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I bit the bullet a few years ago and converted to 134. I doubt any real R12 is left for us to get our hands on and finding a r12 machine is another hurdle. I had a nice r12 machine and about 12 cans of r12 substitute but decided to go the 134 route out of simplicity. It supposedly cools about 8-10 degrees less and I think you don't use as much freon with the newer stuff. You might need to adjust your pressure switch so the fans still cycle at the right pressures.

I sold my machine but it sure was pretty. Had that cool vintage tool look that I love but it took up a lot of space.

20150611_175448.jpg20150611_175308.jpg20150611_175253.jpg20150611_175228.jpg

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    ...and I think you don't use as much freon with the newer stuff. You might need to adjust your pressure switch so the fans still cycle at the right pressures.
    I think you meant compressor.

======

Changing over means a full flush, different oil, and a new accumulator (some say hoses too).
    I doubt you'll like the results in FL.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I think you meant compressor.

======

Changing over means a full flush, different oil, and a new accumulator (some say hoses too).
    I doubt you'll like the results in FL.
    Yeah compressor. I must have had fans on my mind since on some cars they on and off with the compressor. (Not mine though).

My VIN:    10309

In a perfect world, continuing with R12 would be the way to go. As long as you have no leaks and have access to 3 or 4 cans to have stored away
    you are good to go. In the world we live in it is going to be harder or impossible to find R12 so going to R134 is necessary. You might be able to just
    buy the conversion low pressure high pressure valves to go on the compressor, vacuum the system and recharge the system with R134. . The seals might leak or they might not and if they leak a little bit so what, R134 is $6 a can. You won't notice the difference in performance. I lived in Hawaii for 45 years and it is much hotter than Florida all year long and all of my a/c was R134 and was comfortable as long as it worked correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    In a perfect world, continuing with R12 would be the way to go. As long as you have no leaks and have access to 3 or 4 cans to have stored away
    you are good to go. In the world we live in it is going to be harder or impossible to find R12 so going to R134 is necessary. You might be able to just
    buy the conversion low pressure high pressure valves to go on the compressor, vacuum the system and recharge the system with R134. . The seals might leak or they might not and if they leak a little bit so what, R134 is $6 a can. You won't notice the difference in performance. I lived in Hawaii for 45 years and it is much hotter than Florida all year long and all of my a/c was R134 and was comfortable as long as it worked correctly.
    Umm, Florida is ranked the #1 hottest state, Hawaii is #2. Of course that is annual average. I would have thought Arizona, but I guess they get cold in winter.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...mperatures.php

In any case, my brother has several large tanks of R12. He thought he was going to make a killing. Lol. Now he's going to give them to me.

I have a Bronco that I converted to 134 and it doesn't work great. In newer cars that are designed for it, it works fantastic. I think they use larger condensers for the new cars. In this case, I think I will try the R12. If it works, fine. If not, I may have to buy 134 stuff.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There is also the option of using Red Tek substitute, which is more environmentally friendly. this is what DMC uses now for several years.

DeloreanTech has some videos about it on Youtube.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    There is also the option of using Red Tek substitute, which is more environmentally friendly. this is what DMC uses now for several years.

DeloreanTech has some videos about it on Youtube.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi. I'm in Central Florida and I still run R12. Here is my refurb thread if it helps:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...rly-A-C-System
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast