FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Auto shop tried to scam me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10201

Auto shop tried to scam me

I had my bmw towed to a well reviewed auto shop on Monday. I had issues with the stability control, felt like hitting a patch of ice, so it didnt feel safe to drive and figured it'd require more in depth troubleshooting. The shop thinks the coilover wrench i had in the trunk was shorting the battery causing me to lose power. Strange, but reasonable since i keep in container by the battery and my battery doesnt have a cover on the + cable.

pic01.jpg

anyways, they told me there were several other issues with the car. on the list was a cabin air filter replacement, the z3 never came with one. they said the rubber on the control arm bushings wer tearing. I replaced mine with solid UHMW a year ago. When i asked how the rubber could tear when mine are plastic, they said they just put that there as substitute for something else in the rear suspension, despite putting the part number and description for the front ones. Drive belt is allegedly cracked, but i put a new one on a little over a year ago (havent had a chance to check it yet just to make sure). Valve cover gasket also apparently needs replacing even though thats the first thing i replaced on the car. I could have messed part of it up, but i havent noticed leaking from there and neither did the BMW dealer.

The place seemed like a legit business, but it seems like their customers just don't know any better. I'm not a great mechanic. i've taken apart more than I've fixed. I hardly knew anything when i first got my delorean and I've still got tons to learn, but this is the first time I've ever been told I needed stuff replaced that the car didnt come equipped with or repair a broken part that isnt even on the car anymore. This has really knocked down my trust down for auto shops.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Years ago I took my Volvo to a trusted friend to have a service done. I didn't think they carried a cabin filter so I replaced it a few days earlier. When I got the bill, sure enough a cabin filter was on it (and for 29.00, about 15 more than I paid and I know they used a generic one too). I questioned him about it and he just said "it needed it". I didn't push the issue as he was my friend. After that I just learned to have friends that I can't trust.

That event was the catalyst for me doing car repairs myself.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-03-2021 at 09:26 PM.

The first time was naively taking my first car to the lube shop for the first oil change. They succeeded in upcharging me for some special cleaning. They also brought out a sample of nasty liquid and pink liquid and told me the power steering fluid was bad, but I didnt feel like spending that much money at the time. Went to a different shop for the next oil change and asked them to check the power steering fluid... it was fine. Later learned that was a typical scam. I was just too broke at the time to fall for it. Went 80k more miles without ever changing it til the transmission died.

My old boss would say that you got a really good deal though. $29 is a really cheap price to learn someone isnt trustworthy.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Unfortunately, these stories are all too common. I could tell you stories going back decades. When I have to go into a dealership/auto repair shop, I am typically dressed like an office worker. Apparently I don't look like a car guy. So, inevitably they take the bait and try to scam me and sometimes the scam is backed up by some outlandish tales. That doesn't go well for them. That's all I will say about that.

Like Michael said and for me as well, this was partially my motivation to do my own work.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

In case you guys wanted to see the wrench lol

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Back in the late 90s, had a mechanic tell me he replaced the distributor curve kit in my 96 Ram Air. Opti-sparks don't use curve kits.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I had my bmw towed to a well reviewed auto shop on Monday.... The place seemed like a legit business, but it seems like their customers just don't know any better. This has really knocked down my trust down for auto shops.
    Was this a shop in the Atlanta area?
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Was this a shop in the Atlanta area?
    nah. its down in newnan

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I definitely empathize with you. I own 4 different vehicles and until only a couple of years ago, they each had to undergo annual safety and emissions testing as part of the registration renewal. My state luckily did away with safety inspections a couple of years back, and now I just have to have an emissions test.

Anyway, I do all my own car work for all cars, including maintenance, and have for decades, and I always hate even having an emissions tech look over the car to provide maintenance recommendations. Last year, on my 2007 Mazda 6, a tech recommended a transmission fluid service, that I replace a burned out license plate light, and replace the brake fluid. I declined all services and proceeded to check everything myself after returning home. I couldn't find a single burned out light on the whole car, the tranny fluid was a little old, but still fine, and the brake fluid was still fine too.

I know there are plenty of people out there that don't know any better that agree to things like these, which is unfortunate. I now find myself going over all of the serviceable items on my cars beforehand to make sure they are okay to see what kinds of recommendations they come up with. I did end up doing a transmission service myself later that year, so that one probably wasn't too far fetched.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/