FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driver's Side Door Lights Not Working

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Driver's Side Door Lights Not Working

My driver's side door lights stopped working. When I open the driver's side door, the dome light doesn't come on, nor do the three lights on the door itself. Note that when I open the passenger door, all the passenger door lights and the dome light come on.

I confirmed that I have ground to the door light switch, but the purple/blue wire is showing "disconnected" (neither ground nor 12v). I tried applying ground to complete the circuit, but it didn't turn on the door or dome lights.

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagrams, the path at this point would be GND -> Switch -> Purple/Blue Wire -> Purple Wire -> Fuse 12.

Fuse 12 is good (I tested it, but since the passenger lights and dome lights work, it's clearly good). Since the dome light doesn't go on either, I'm thinking the problem is either on the purple wire to the door lights, or the purple/blue wire from the door lights, or the harness inside the door.

Before I tear apart the parcel shelf, center console and doors to try to figure out where the wires go, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has some pointers on where to look.

Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    03572

Purple/blue goes to the buzzer. Door light switch should be purple/white.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

It does? I was using this diagram (the colorized one based on the one in the manual), which shows P/U. It's also the one I rigged up to a magnetic switch for the door lights. I don't think I've ever heard my buzzer, and still have the old switch hooked up to that, although I've never tested it to see if the circuit works. P/W seems like it's for the dome lights?

DoorInt.jpg

-- Joe

My VIN:    #4595

First thing that comes to mind would be one of the three diodes under the center console died. Similar symptoms to what you described.

I was wondering about that. The diagram seemed to imply that the door lights should still work without the diodes even being connected, but it’s quite likely that I’m misreading it.

I’ll pull the center console and check the diodes this afternoon.

— Joe

My VIN:    #4595

You can usually reach these diodes without removing the center console. You will find them on the driver's side foot well area of the center console. Might have to reach I'm there a bit but should be able to see the bundle without removing the whole thing.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Purple/blue goes to the buzzer. Door light switch should be purple/white.
    Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    It does? I was using this diagram (the colorized one based on the one in the manual), which shows P/U. It's also the one I rigged up to a magnetic switch for the door lights. I don't think I've ever heard my buzzer, and still have the old switch hooked up to that, although I've never tested it to see if the circuit works. P/W seems like it's for the dome lights?
    I'm thinking you are both correct-
    The WSM schematic shows two left door switches. Both numbered 41. Both have Purple/Blue wires, which do not tie together.

Could you have mixed them up when doing the magnetic switch mod? (...not sure that would do it not seeing everything.)

======

The diodes could cause the interior lights and opposite door lights to not come on, but have nothing to do with the door lights on the same side as the door switch.
    Last edited by Ron; 03-06-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo 12->41

Sorry. I was looking at glove box switch. The LH switch does show purple/blue and the RH switch is purple/pink.

You would normally see 12 volts on the switch wires if not grounded by the switch. Maybe some LEDs in the door lights may give you different results.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 03-06-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

I easily found the diode bundle once I knew where to look. One of the diodes (the red one) has two P/W wires going into it, and two P/U coming out. All diodes show 12v on both ends.

The diagram suggests that even with the diodes disconnected, the door lights should still work when that door is open, unless I’m reading it wrong.

I installed the magnetic switch around 15 years ago, so I’m sure P/U is the correct wire to the switch. I do have LEDs in the door, but that’s not new either. The failure started just a few days ago.

Thanks!

— Joe

Wiggle all the wires while the door is open so you can see if there is a marginal connection. Sometimes those crimps with two wire in one pin go bad. It sounds like you lost the purple wire connection going to the door lights on that side. That connection feeds up to the roof box so it will not be fun to trouble shoot that. I use mercury switches in my doors.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast