FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can you double check my steering rack install?

Can you double check my steering rack install?

Hi all, hope yer hanging in there. I am installing a new steering rack, and would love to have a second set of eyes on my work, to ensure I'm installing properly. Specifically, 2 things:

1-my bushings/brackets. does this look right? as best i can tell, both of the bushings can only be installed one way. the metal "lip" of the bracket seats against the rack in a way that looks kinda weird. have a look if you've done this job and let me know if it looks right.

2-steering column mating to rack: I've got the universal joint mated to the column, and the rack, with the cutout on the input shaft of the rack aligned what i THINK is right. my question: it's very slow going to get the UJ seated into the rack input shaft far enough to seat the bolt. currently, i'm tapping on the elbow of the UJ and simultaneously rotating and wiggling the joint inward. tap, rotate, wiggle, tap rotate, wiggle. i can't tell if its just a long slow process, or if something is wrong. i've probably got another 1-2 centimeters til the bolt can sit at the cutout. is there a trick to this? should i bathe the teeth of the UJ in 3-in-1 or something?

thanks for any tips.
    IMG_0231.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0230.jpg

I've never done this and I can't help you, but I would like to ask a question. How many miles on your car and what were the reasons you replaced the rack. (Loose or tight or broken) My car has a lot of miles, but seems like the steering is tight, but I've only driven it on the grasss or the dirt road. Not sure if I could feel a bad rack yet. When I rock the wheel, it seems to be no play, but I haven't got someone else to do it with my eyeballs right up close to the front.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hi all, hope yer hanging in there. I am installing a new steering rack, and would love to have a second set of eyes on my work, to ensure I'm installing properly. Specifically, 2 things:

1-my bushings/brackets. does this look right? as best i can tell, both of the bushings can only be installed one way. the metal "lip" of the bracket seats against the rack in a way that looks kinda weird. have a look if you've done this job and let me know if it looks right.

2-steering column mating to rack: I've got the universal joint mated to the column, and the rack, with the cutout on the input shaft of the rack aligned what i THINK is right. my question: it's very slow going to get the UJ seated into the rack input shaft far enough to seat the bolt. currently, i'm tapping on the elbow of the UJ and simultaneously rotating and wiggling the joint inward. tap, rotate, wiggle, tap rotate, wiggle. i can't tell if its just a long slow process, or if something is wrong. i've probably got another 1-2 centimeters til the bolt can sit at the cutout. is there a trick to this? should i bathe the teeth of the UJ in 3-in-1 or something?

thanks for any tips.
    1. Looks like you've got everything seated properly from what I can see in the pics. The bushings only really fit onto the rack one way and the brackets will only install thru the frame if you've got those seated properly on the bushings.

2. To make it easier to slide the U-joint onto the steering rack splined shaft, insert a screwdriver into the split in the side of the U-joint and spread it apart. That should help you get it fully seated.
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-11-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

When it comes to getting the U-joint on the spline, it also helps to coat the splines with some anti-seize. Probably won't make the install easier, but will definitely make removal in the future a lot easier! As pointed out, insert a large screw driver into that slot and twist a bit should spread the U-joint socket and allow it to slide all the way on easier.

You didn't ask, but what about the passenger side bracket? Did you remember to install that plate under it and have the rack go into that little slot? This is the part I'm referring to:

If the rack isn't in that slot properly, it can then move side to side and make for some very "fun" steering!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

rack

Make damn sure the splined shaft is
    fully seat in the u-joint so the pinch bolt goes
    through the groove on the shaft....so you don't
    lose your steering....at 70 miles an hour!...

Thanks yall!

1-why do the rack? well, i was gonna just do brakes, but then while they were out, i decided to do bushings, and then springs, and at that point, i had the whole suspension disassembled. it was the one time i was gonna get a clear shot at the rack, so i said eff it, i'll do it now.

2-lower bracket on passenger side of rack: yes, i have that bracket in place. it's funny you mentioned that; the first time i reassembled it, i didnt put that bracket in, and for a split second was like "eh, what's the harm in not----" and realized that is horrible logic, so i pulled it and put the bracket in.

3-u joint: yes, i'll make sure the bolt clears "inside" the recess of the rack spindle. don't want that coming out any time soon! bizarrely, the nut/bolt at the spindle was not a nyloc, which i just thought was......strange, for the factory to do. there's nyloc nuts everywhere else in the car. seemed like an odd place to skip it.

i'll try the prying technique with a flathead, and just keep massaging it in. thanks folks.