FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what is this then?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Where is the main ground(s) these wires eventually connect to? Do they just daisy chain together from a single ground?
    Main bulkhead bolt => Blower Motor => Dashboard Bolt => Body Panels. (With branches elsewhere along the way).

They will have little/nothing to do with your sucky reception if WRT being "weak"...more for interference from other sources, "static" and/or electromagnetic interference.
    Maybe TMI, but without the grounds, if you were to drive under low electricity transmission lines, your radio would cut out (some do anyways) and your engine may die (screws up the electronics...).

My frame has two coats of wax Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe TMI, but without the grounds, if you were to drive under low electricity transmission lines, your radio would cut out (some do anyways) and your engine may die (screws up the electronics).
    That's heavy!

LOL

P.S. I should have said some engines would die (due to poor component shielding). I doubt it would affect a D.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I saw these grounding straps when I refurbished my car, especially the windshield surround and the front fender area.

A couple of them were frayed/broken, so I replaced the tinned, copper braid.

Last edited by DMC-81; 03-19-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10207

A big thank you again!

Seems like I should keep / repair them then!
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Main bulkhead bolt => Blower Motor => Dashboard Bolt => Body Panels. (With branches elsewhere along the way).
    Somewhat off topic Ron, but a question I was wondering last week while pinning out an old harness. There are many grounds with ring terminals coming out of the harness (especially around the center console area). Are those joined to the main bulkhead ground (which would make them unnecessary), or are they just 'loose' grounds, that need to attach to the grounds you mentioned?

(Actually, I just multimetered it out, and it looks like the only ground/ring terminal that isn't connected to the main bulkhead ground is the one that should come out near the blower motor. So how does one ground the blower motor ground wire?)

Thanks!
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 03-20-2021 at 11:22 AM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    ...So how does one ground the blower motor ground wire?
    The factory blower motor ground wire runs from the main bulkhead ground forward to the one of the spades on the double-male spade connector that's attached to the blower motor flange by one of the flange mount screws. There are ground wires from other elements connected the other spade on that dual connector. In other words, the grounds for those other elements terminate at that common dual-spade connector to be grounded in turn to the bulkhead ground, along with the fan motor.

That's the part of the circuit Ron describes in the first two words of his written ground schematic. (Main bulkhead bolt => Blower Motor => Dashboard Bolt => Body Panels)

This schematic might help. Taken from one of several posts in this thread
    Last edited by Rich; 03-20-2021 at 01:04 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks Rich. Yes I see that spade terminal now, I guess what I am looking at is not the blower ground. This is 2 ring terminals (large and small I believe) about 1.5 feet back from the blower connections, but after what I think are the glove box wires (car isn't built yet. Going by a schematic, they are the glovebox lamp wires).
    Unfortunately that ground schematic seems to locate the bundles of grounds that are heatshrinked together, but not the individual ring terminals (or is missing a fair bit of them). IE, the terminals I mentioned near the center console, that still show continuity with the rear bulbkhead ground (So why are they there? Seems strange!)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Somewhat off topic Ron, but a question I was wondering last week while pinning out an old harness. There are many grounds with ring terminals coming out of the harness (especially around the center console area). Are those joined to the main bulkhead ground (which would make them unnecessary), or are they just 'loose' grounds, that need to attach to the grounds you mentioned?

(Actually, I just multimetered it out, and it looks like the only ground/ring terminal that isn't connected to the main bulkhead ground is the one that should come out near the blower motor. So how does one ground the blower motor ground wire?)

Thanks!
    For prosperity:
    GroundLocations.jpg

For prosperity:
    GroundLocations.jpg
    Or posterity.

Copyright 2011 Bill Robertson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast