FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what is this then?

My VIN:    10207

Question So what is this then?

Hi guys,

I'm having a look at the weatherstripping, and came across this by the front door / trunk area. What is this good for?
    DSC_0243.jpg

There's one on the passenger side too, but that one has been torn in two.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Not factory. There is a small grounding wire in the fuel filler area I believe for static discharge but I have no idea what that could be or why I wouldn't just rip it off and forget about it.

It might be PO mod to help the windshield antenna assuming it has one.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not factory.
    I do not believe that is accurate. My car also has these ground straps on on every single panel, even a ground running under the windshield/urethane on the lower passenger side. For one reason or another, they wanted to make sure all the fenders were grounded.
    Last edited by dn010; 03-19-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I do not believe that is accurate. My car also has these ground straps on on every single panel, even a ground running under the windshield/urethane on the lower passenger side.
    Mine has the grounds all over too.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm having a look at the weatherstripping, and came across this by the front door / trunk area. What is this good for?
    DSC_0243.jpg

There's one on the passenger side too, but that one has been torn in two.
    As others have stated, grounding straps for the fenders. Mine are bust too; probably not a big deal unless you want to replace.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The straps are factory. They prevent electromagnetic interference from getting to and escaping from the electrical parts of the vehicle. So why when the engine is in the back? They want all of the panels to have the same potential...
    Check out Faraday Cage.

(Michael, FWIW, antennas work best when mounted as far away from grounded metal masses as possible, especially for transmitting.)

My mistake, I thought it was just hanging there in plain view. Never saw those before but the number of DeLoreans I have personally seen is under 20.

AFAIK, none of my panels are grounded. Maybe that's why my radio reception sucks?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Because all of the panels are bolted to a fiberglass underbody and are not mechanically connected to each other, they are bonded together by uninsulated braided cables. They are bonded for a couple of reasons. For the radio, for static electric and to get any stray currents grounded back to the battery. Most of them are probably rotten and/or broken but they should be maintained in good repair for safety purposes. There are some things that are electrically powered that attach to the panels like the power antennae and marker lights.
    David Teitelbaum

Where is the main ground(s) these wires eventually connect to? Do they just daisy chain together from a single ground?
    Last edited by Michael; 03-19-2021 at 12:26 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Where is the main ground(s) these wires eventually connect to?
    The panels seem to be a chain and I believe they are grounded to the rest of the system under the dash via the wire that is glued under the windshield, passenger side. I never would have known this wire even existed until I pulled my windshield for replacement.

FWIW, these panels seems to be grounded regardless of having these straps or not. I have many of these either broken or missing now and I've still caused sparks by accidentally shorting something on a panel.

Edit:

Here is the wire. I am not at home to look at my car in order to really refresh my recollection but if my memory is fine, the wire continues from the windshield opening, under the cowl and connects to the passenger side front fender. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

wire.jpg
    Last edited by dn010; 03-19-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast