FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Servicing the Lambda Counter

My VIN:    10207

Question Servicing the Lambda Counter

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this seems a VERY basic question, but I'm having trouble figuring it out myself...

I'm having a look at the lambda counter, in an effort to remove as much friction in the speedo drive system as possible.
    Looks like this when I took it appart:

DSC_0254.jpg

Is it supposed to be halffilled with grease? If so, should I change the grease, and if so, to what?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    03500

It is common to eliminate the counter altogether and get a one peace shaft. Otherwise I think any common plastic gear grease should work.

Dave B.

My VIN:    3937

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    It is common to eliminate the counter altogether and get a one peace shaft. Otherwise I think any common plastic gear grease should work.

Dave B.
    An unauthorized mod if you don't want to deal with the one-piece cable is to open up the box and remove all the inside parts except the shaft that goes thru it. That really cuts down on the friction but it still functions normally (for the speedo, not for the counter).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    An unauthorized mod....
    I want to talk to the guy who authorizes DeLorean mods.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I want to talk to the guy who authorizes DeLorean mods.
    Heh. I'm not even sure why I wrote it that way.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2678

I opened only one (my) lambda counter ten years ago. And I am quite sure that it already looked like this:

dscs2870.jpg

No, or nearly no grease at all. Maybe someone else removed it before the car came to me?
    Always a filled fuel tank.

My VIN:    10207

Question Right, but what is the connector for the lambda counter?

I got the lamda counter cleaned, regreased and reassembled. In the process I found out that it only opens the connection at 100% => 199%, that is between 30.000->59.999 miles. At 200% = 60.000 miles the connection closes again.

I also found out that there has been a melting or corosion going on inside mine. Have a look:

DSC_0258.jpg

Aaaaand then I found out that the wiring and/or the connector is busted. So now I'm looking for a replacement connector for the Lamda Counter, any suggestions?

It's this one:

DSC_0261.jpg

I hope someone can point to someone who stocks it.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    3937

Do yourself a favor and get this: https://www.deloreango.com/ca/one-pi...edo-cable.html

The Lambda counter turns on a light on the dash when it hits 30,000 miles. And that's it. It was supposed to remind the owner that service was due. Now, 40 years after these cars were made, this is about the most useless feature still on the car. Why? Because no one drives their cars so often and so casually that they would just happen to get to 30,000 miles or way over and forget to do their maintenance. If you are able to put 30,000 miles on your car, you're already the type that is on top of the car's maintenance. And don't forget that it is driven by our craptacular angle drive/speedo contraption. If it isn't working then your lambda counter ain't counting. Trust me, get the one piece speedo cable, remove the counter and the bracket it is on (relocate your inertia switch if it isn't already) and don't think about it ever again. It's a waste of time and money.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While Jonathan does a good job pointing out all of the practical reasons not to try to get the Lambda counter working, some owners just want everything to work the way it was supposed to. Nothing wrong with that. If you call the vendors you may find one of them has a used counter and a plug. Just be prepared for what it may cost!
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast