FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission Not Shifting

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Wow all good Points Rich
    Yes 1st thing in the morning. I’m going to ace
    The car is ready to roll this is the last thing I need to do other than install the fuel closing plate.
    So I’m anxious to see if I can get this working this weekend?
    I’ll post update so check back if y’all can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual Transmission Not Shifting

Still can’t find 3th,4th?
    Here’s some shots of 1st 1st picture then
    Then neutral
    (Note position of fork)
    Am I missing something or is 1st really 3rd gear?
    The car seems to pull forward in 1st and 2nd and reverse just fine
    5th has a hard time (obviously) but hitting a stop on 3rd-4th
    Only able to move it in the driveway due to rain/mud so can’t test it out

Last edited by FLYBOY; 03-27-2021 at 05:14 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

OK.

Questions, assuming you don't want to wait for better weather to check the gear selections on the road.

With the current x-gate adjustment

1. Can you shift into R without lifting the shifter?
    2. When you have the shifter in "5th" and notice the engine has a hard time have you tried to shift into "6th" (straight down from "5th")? In that case "5th" is really 3rd (which also lugs the engine from a stop).

The guess with these questions is that the shifter position is now better than before but the shifter now sits a bit too far to the right of the center position. Hard to tell with the black grease that's still in the left side of that notch the roll pin sits in.

See if you can get a small scale down into the shifter to measure the L-R location of the roll pin. Then adjust the x-gate to center it between the ends of the wide notch in the shift plate. That location should give you 3-4 without any L-R shift action and still leave room for 1-2 to the left and 5 to the right. It will not allow you to grab R without lifting the shifter so the pin clears the lockout.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

It looks like that "L" arm has to much gap (play) so it would limit the amount of cross gate movement. I can't remember how mine looked but maybe someone can post a photo of theirs.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    OK.

Questions, assuming you don't want to wait for better weather to check the gear selections on the road.

With the current x-gate adjustment

1. Can you shift into R without lifting the shifter?
    2. When you have the shifter in "5th" and notice the engine has a hard time have you tried to shift into "6th" (straight down from "5th")? In that case "5th" is really 3rd (which also lugs the engine from a stop).

The guess with these questions is that the shifter position is now better than before but the shifter now sits a bit too far to the right of the center position. Hard to tell with the black grease that's still in the left side of that notch the roll pin sits in.

See if you can get a small scale down into the shifter to measure the L-R location of the roll pin. Then adjust the x-gate to center it between the ends of the wide notch in the shift plate. That location should give you 3-4 without any L-R shift action and still leave room for 1-2 to the left and 5 to the right. It will not allow you to grab R without lifting the shifter so the pin clears the lockout.
    I can’t get into R without lifting also No nothing below 5th I’m quite sure it’s in 5th gear but hey I could be wrong just nothing below and it’s way right where it should be
    No grease in there it’s dried paint I’ll try and clean it up more but it’s actually really clean.
    I’ll keep adjusting but I don’t think I ever had 3-4th with all the adjusting?
    1st and 2nd are where they should be, same for 5th.

R 1st 2nd and 5th all work
    Stumped
    I don’t believe anything is broken because it did work before just very hard to get into and out of gears due to leaking (new) slave which I replaced and new lines just not the master

Last edited by FLYBOY; 03-27-2021 at 06:58 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Jack up the rear wheels and try shifting while the motor is running. You should feel each shift. You may have to replace the rubber bushings in the shift linkage.
    David Teitelbaum

Well I Drove the car today and after a few hours adjusting and getting what I thought was close
    I can 100% unequivocally say I have NO 3rd and 4th gear!
    There’s seems to be a lot play in 1st and 2nd almost to 3rd-4th so I drove it and was right unfortunately.
    I replaced the bushing before this all except that one hard one
    Suggestions cause I’m stumped

My VIN:    03500

Just throwing this idea out. But can a missing or broken pivot bolt cause this problem?

Dave B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you can't fix it externally, the problem could be internal to the transmission in which case you will have to pull it and open it up. My last suggestion would be to disconnect all the linkage and try each gear directly at the transmission to rule out the external linkage.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Just throwing this idea out. But can a missing or broken pivot bolt cause this problem?
    Dave B.
    Unlikely. The p bolt is part of the fore-aft half of the shift linkage. No effect on cross gates.

The owner’s reporting good performance in the fore-aft department. Good 1-2, 5, and R shifts wouldn’t happen if that bolt was bad.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast