Trying to align the cross gate adjustment nut
    Can’t get it into 3th or 4th gear
    1st 2nd and 5th and reverse seem to be fine
    But somehow the middle gears (3-4)
    won’t budge

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Good to have that photo.

Based on the photo your crossgate is adjusted with the shifter too far to the left. It's even possible that the 3-4 gate is accessible to you now if you use the shifter to feel for it a little bit to the right, somewhere between where it sits in the photo and the 5th gear gate. I mention this only as a test note, not that you'd want to drive it that way.

It would be easier for you to register the x-gate cable position if the roll pin that is supposed to be projecting from the front of your shift stalk casting wasn't broken or missing. Also, if the pin was still there then you probably couldn't shift into 1-2 or reverse without adjusting the x-gate, either.

Try referring to this explanation and how-to video. You'll see the shifter lockout pin right away and you'll (sort of) see where you want the x-gate cable adjusted when it's set up correctly.

PS, without that pin the car has no reverse lockout, so be careful.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03500

That is one nasty looking shifter.
    If this were me if it needed this much adjustment. I would disassembled the shifter for a good cleaning. That much crud is going to cause problems in it self.

Dave B.

My VIN:    03572

Get it working without the shift gate and then if you still want the gate you can make minor adjustments. The scratched shaft is the giveaway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Manual Transmission Not Shifting

Going to clean everything up, the reverse lockout pin was cut in half but I was able to move it forward so I have that protection.
    Hopefully I can keep trying to adjust the cross gate adjustment nuts but nothing seems to work, just jamming on 3rd and 4th!
    I’ll keep trying though
    I’ve seen that video a few times but it seems its only
    Dealing with one side of gears either adjustment left for 1st and 2nd or way to the right 5th. But that’s not my issue (those gears all work as well as reverse).
    it’s the middle gears that won’t go in, unless I’m missing something?
    Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FLYBOY; 03-25-2021 at 09:09 AM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Are you sure this is an adjustment issue, not an issue with the transmission?
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    I’ve seen that video a few times but it seems its only
    Dealing with one side of gears either adjustment left for 1st and 2nd or way to the right 5th. But that’s not my issue (those gears all work as well as reverse).
    it’s the middle gears that won’t go in, unless I’m missing something?
    If you can see the pin now then tell us whether it is centered in that lockout slot when the shifter is at its center (rest) position. That's where the 3-4 gate should be. In your first photo it looks like the shifter sits too far to the left.

If you try to find 3-4 at all of the left-right positions of the shifter that you can imagine (and with the clutch disengaged of course) and it won't go in then the transmission is the next place to look, as mentioned in the post before this one. It seems your crossgate cable is working - or else you wouldn't catch 1st-2nd and 5th, plus R.

A dumb question to be sure we have all the data: You listed all the gears you CAN get. Is that report based on having driven the car in each of those gears or are you assuming which gears you are getting based only on where the shifter moves and with the engine off and the car parked? I realize that shifting from 2nd gear directly up to 5th is tricky but you'll only know you have 5th for sure if you try. What if the gear you think is 5th is really 3rd??
    Last edited by Rich; 03-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Manual Transmission Not Shifting

So I cleaned it up quite a bit
    And yeah it appears what I thought was 1st-2nd was actually 3rd-4th
    It appears Rich is correct’
    Spot on
    I see now it’s sitting to far to the left. Although the cross gate is very loose I just wanted to be sure I could actually find the gears
    1st/2nd is right above Reverse so I’ll try tomorrow to adjust right. This is ALL assumed because I have NOT driven the car but atleast I think I have 5 gears
    The reverse pin was broken in half but I did manage to get both pieces back in the hole.
    Does anyone sell that just the shifter pin?
    Hopefully I’ll have results tomorrow????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FLYBOY; 03-25-2021 at 11:21 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It's just a roll pin that you can get at a hardware store.
    -----Dan B.

Good progress there so far. Thanks for the update/photo. So the shifter sits in the 3-4 gate, not in the 1-2 gate? You found (maybe?) 5th a bit to the right? Looks like you know where to go from there.

Two comments here.

A. Dan's right. Take what's left of your old pin to a local Ace Hardware or eq. Look in the fasteners area for the specialty bolts/nuts/knobs assortment drawers to find a steel roll pin with same diameter and similar length.

B. Guessing here that with the x-gate set that way - with the 3-4 gate way over to the left - the roll pin broke off due to jamming the shifter hard to the left every time. That smashed the pin against the lockout in order to engage gears 1-2 if they could be engaged at all without pulling up on the shifter to jump the lockout.

That won't happen after the crossgate cable is adjusted.

It's weird that the 3-4 gate ever got so far off. You may want to suspend much more work on this issue until you get the car running so you can verify the gear engagements.
    Last edited by Rich; 03-26-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast