FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Manual Transmission Not Shifting

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Unlikely. The p bolt is part of the fore-aft half of the shift linkage. No effect on cross gates.

The owner’s reporting good performance in the fore-aft department. Good 1-2, 5, and R shifts wouldn’t happen if that bolt was bad.
    I'll keep that in mind.
    I wasn't sure on that.

Thanks
    Dave B.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, as others mention it could be on the transmission end of the system, not the shifter end. And we still aren't completely sure which shifter position gives which gear but if you know how it used to shift in the past (do you?) then your reports are probably accurate.

Any history that might help us?

Did this car have shifting issues before? Am not aware whether we are looking at a mild repair job or a resurrection.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Manual Transmission Not Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, as others mention it could be on the transmission end of the system, not the shifter end. And we still aren't completely sure which shifter position gives which gear but if you know how it used to shift in the past (do you?) then your reports are probably accurate.

Any history that might help us?

Did this car have shifting issues before? Am not aware whether we are looking at a mild repair job or a resurrection.
    I’m sure about the shifter position 100.% As I drove it to verify
    1,2,5 Reverse all work

It would shift in all gears but would be hard to get into and out of 1st and 2nd which I attributed to a leaking slave but would eventually shift
    3th and 4th was never an issue but now I have the opposite problem
    I doubt it’s a broken transmission issue since it worked before I started adjusting but I not an expert on manuals
    No repair job, other than replacing the shifter bushings last year and Inly drove it a few times
    Last edited by FLYBOY; 03-29-2021 at 01:30 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    I’m sure about the shifter position 100.% As I drove it to verify
    1,2,5 Reverse all work

It would shift in all gears but would be hard to get into and out of 1st and 2nd which I attributed to a leaking slave but would eventually shift
    3th and 4th was never an issue but now I have the opposite problem
    I doubt it’s a broken transmission issue since it worked before I started adjusting but I not an expert on manuals
    No repair job, other than replacing the shifter bushings last year and Inly drove it a few times
    I think you need to isolate the problem to either the transmission or the shifter.

You should be able to crawl under the car and shift the transmission by pushing the shifter arm in and out of the transmission and pulling it forward and backward. Depending on your results you should know if you need to be focusing on the shifter mechanism or if it it's something more severe like the gearbox.

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I think you need to isolate the problem to either the transmission or the shifter.

You should be able to crawl under the car and shift the transmission by pushing the shifter arm in and out of the transmission and pulling it forward and backward. Depending on your results you should know if you need to be focusing on the shifter mechanism or if it it's something more severe like the gearbox.
    Ok should I disconnect the shifter Connector arm?
    And how would I do that?
    And what to look for as far as how to shift the tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3