FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Question about selling

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    127

    Question about selling

    https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...w-jersey-07094

    I've got my Delorean listed, it can be viewed at the link above. I botched the write up but I still have 2 people that seem very interested.

    My question is, I don't want to milk anyone, I want a fair deal and for everyone to be happy in the end. One guy is flying up from Tx next week the other guy is in Oz.

    My ask is 35K, if they both offer me the asking price, do I take the first offer or do I tell them to come in with 1 final offer and pick the highest bidder?

    A couple of K isn't going to make me or break me, but an overwhelming offer is hard to turn down if I got one.

    I realize this might be in the wrong forum, if you need to delete it, I understand.

    Thanks for the support.

  2. #2
    My frame has two coats of wax Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    4,318

    My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

    I think you are about 5-10k low on your ask so people should be throwing 35k at you and racing there to be first. That said, I would just sell it to the first guy that doesn't have an attitude or want's to pick the car apart.

    In my line of work, I have people pestering me all the time to work on their personal cars. I do, but I am also extremely busy with my accounts so if one of those guys gives the least hint he is going to be a douche nozzle down the road(starts asking about warranties and guarantees), I flat out refuse service. At $35k, you are holding all the cards here.

    PS: just noticed, it has headers? Possibly a stage I exhaust or Spec exhaust. That's a selling point as that is about a $1,500.00 upgrade.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-27-2021 at 10:16 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    127

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think you are about 5-10k low on your ask so people should be throwing 35k at you and racing there to be first. That said, I would just sell it to the first guy that doesn't have an attitude or want's to pick the car apart.

    In my line of work, I have people pestering me all the time to work on their personal cars. I do, but I am also extremely busy with my accounts so if one of those guys gives the least hint he is going to be a douche nozzle down the road(starts asking about warranties and guarantees), I flat out refuse service. At $35k, you are holding all the cards here.

    PS: just noticed, it has headers? Possibly a stage I exhaust or Spec exhaust. That's a selling point as that is about a $1,500.00 upgrade.
    It has all the work done on it that a stage II has (I was told). All done at a private garage in Ca. I could be wrong but I have no reason not to believe what I was told. Of course if someone can point out that it's not I'd listen. Thanks for the compliment on the car and the input on selling it.

  4. #4
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    7,966

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    Even if the motor was "upgraded" to a Stage II, if it doesn't have that plate, it is difficult to advertise it as a Stage II. DMCH put a plate on every car they converted to Stage II. No way anyone can help you to price your car without seeing it in person. Anything else is just a guess. If you are getting your asking price then what is the problem? As for which one to take, "Money Talks". The first one with the cash gets the car.
    David Teitelbaum

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    127

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Even if the motor was "upgraded" to a Stage II, if it doesn't have that plate, it is difficult to advertise it as a Stage II. DMCH put a plate on every car they converted to Stage II. No way anyone can help you to price your car without seeing it in person. Anything else is just a guess. If you are getting your asking price then what is the problem? As for which one to take, "Money Talks". The first one with the cash gets the car.
    Thanks for the info on the Stage II plate, I wasn't aware of that. There's no problem per se, just asking a question. Some people say I sell the car to the first one that inquired about it as long as he has the money within a reasonable amount of time, all because buyer #2 races to me doesn't mean he should get it.

    SO I thought I'd run the situation past you all. Yes, a bird in the hand is often the smart move.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    192

    I would say the first to place a deposit gets it. Of course they would need to complete the deal as agreed. Until you agree to something, all things are possible. (Such as higher offers) There are some exceptions to this. For example, if a guy is flying in two days and you agree to hold the car till then. He arrives and you raise the price. It's pretty simple, treat people as you want to be treated.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2017

    Location:  Tempe AZ

    Posts:    57

    My VIN:    4792

    Club(s):   (AZ-D)

    I just had a customer in my state sell much less of a car for $38k. You have this car listed about 8K too low in my opinion.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2018

    Posts:    651

    Price is too low.

    I recommend selling it on an auction website, with a STARTING bid of at least $40k. Let the potential buyers fight over it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.

    Posts:    1,767

    My VIN:    0934

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Would you care to evaluate your car's condition in order to set a fair price range?

    Start with biggest factor, the car's condition. It appears yours is somewhere in the Condition #2-#3 range.

    Hagerty's valuation tool currently says an '81 5-speed is currently valued at:

    Condition #2 (Excellent): $51,200
    Condition #3 (Good): $36,700

    These numbers are both up by about 20% in the past 3 years.

    Their #2 and #3 condition classifications follow - feel free to chuckle about the 'paint job' factor although that could apply to the fascias and wheels. There are D-specific factors, particularly the frame's condition, of course.

    #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

    #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    127

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I would say the first to place a deposit gets it. Of course they would need to complete the deal as agreed. Until you agree to something, all things are possible. (Such as higher offers) There are some exceptions to this. For example, if a guy is flying in two days and you agree to hold the car till then. He arrives and you raise the price. It's pretty simple, treat people as you want to be treated.
    No, I'd never raise the price on someone, a persons expectations are built into the price, they may need to ship it back, budget money for upgrades etc. The only way I thought the price might increase on my end would be if more then one buyer offered me the asking price. Then I'd have to either give it to the first offer/deposit or ask those involved to come back with their last and highest offer, highest offer wins.

    I think I'm going to stick with what I did this morning.

    I told all 3 so far involved that #1 has 1 week to tender an offer or I'll move on to #2, #2 will have the same 1 week to come look at the car, drive her etc. then I move to number 3. They are now all aware of where they stand. If #1 offers me full ask of 35K I'll drive him to the back to draw a certified check or withdraw the cash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •