FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question about selling

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    I just had a customer in my state sell much less of a car for $38k. You have this car listed about 8K too low in my opinion.
    Thank you, I appreciate that, I'd rather a quick sale and everyone being happy they got something when the day is done. A good home actually is somewhat important to me with this particular car.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Price is too low.

I recommend selling it on an auction website, with a STARTING bid of at least $40k. Let the potential buyers fight over it.

Not a bad idea, but I wasn't sure how all that worked and wanted painless, part of being a rookie I guess, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Would you care to evaluate your car's condition in order to set a fair price range?

Start with biggest factor, the car's condition. It appears yours is somewhere in the Condition #2-#3 range.

Hagerty's valuation tool currently says an '81 5-speed is currently valued at:

Condition #2 (Excellent): $51,200
    Condition #3 (Good): $36,700

These numbers are both up by about 20% in the past 3 years.

Their #2 and #3 condition classifications follow - feel free to chuckle about the 'paint job' factor although that could apply to the fascias and wheels. There are D-specific factors, particularly the frame's condition, of course.

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
    Yes this car would be about a 2.5, all parts are real that I know of, a couple of things that are small problems, the right window comes off the track when you open it, the speedo works when it wants and the inside lights don't come on, short of that she's a pretty fine runner.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I would say the first to place a deposit gets it. Of course they would need to complete the deal as agreed. Until you agree to something, all things are possible. (Such as higher offers) There are some exceptions to this. For example, if a guy is flying in two days and you agree to hold the car till then. He arrives and you raise the price. It's pretty simple, treat people as you want to be treated.
    I agree with this.

Shouldn't be a problem for anyone to send a deposit in earnest through Paypal, or similar, instantly. $XXX deposit gets the ad taken down, and a reasonable amount of time for buyer to deliver the remaining funds. For mutual protection you could use escrow.com to handle title/money swap

A good home and a good price are not mutually exclusive. A good future owner is the one asking good questions, and will know what the car is worth. If none of your interested parties have sealed the deal by now, I'd suggest pulling the ad, waiting a bit, and relisting at nearer what the car is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    I agree with this.

Shouldn't be a problem for anyone to send a deposit in earnest through Paypal, or similar, instantly. $XXX deposit gets the ad taken down, and a reasonable amount of time for buyer to deliver the remaining funds. For mutual protection you could use escrow.com to handle title/money swap

A good home and a good price are not mutually exclusive. A good future owner is the one asking good questions, and will know what the car is worth. If none of your interested parties have sealed the deal by now, I'd suggest pulling the ad, waiting a bit, and relisting at nearer what the car is worth.
    Thanks, you do realize the car has been listed for about 1 week, way too soon to pull it. However per the interested party he is still coming on Thursday and asked me what airport I can pick him up at, he wants to drive her home. I guess we'll all know in a couple of days. I took him for a virtual ride this morning, started it on facetime, reved it, drove around the block and he said it sealed the deal. I didn't ask for a deposit, if he doesn't send me an itinerary by Wed night I'll be moving on.

Thank you all for the advice and input.

Thanks to the group.

I'd like to express my heartfelt thank you to this site and all the members here past and present. This forum and those that make it up are an invaluable.

The Delorean I had is now sold and in it's new home with an owner I am sure will give her the care a car like this needs.

Again, from me to you a heartfelt thank you. Peace to all.

David T, I appreciate you and your help more then I can say, if you're ever near by, drop in again, lunch will be on me.

Mike, thank you as well.

There are too many to name but I hope you know who you are.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Did you sell it to the guy who was going to drive it home? I know you don't want to volunteer personal information as I wouldn't either, but just wondering if he/she drove home and made it safe and sound.

I hope they will be introducing themselves here soon.

Also congrats on the sale. IIRC, this was the one that belonged to a friend or family member that passed away? If so I'm sure it was a hard choice to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Did you sell it to the guy who was going to drive it home? I know you don't want to volunteer personal information as I wouldn't either, but just wondering if he/she drove home and made it safe and sound.

I hope they will be introducing themselves here soon.

Also congrats on the sale. IIRC, this was the one that belonged to a friend or family member that passed away? If so I'm sure it was a hard choice to let it go.
    Yes, they took it for a test drive, was pleased, looked over the engine with me and went to the bank to complete the deal.

They did develop a leak of some sort on their ride home 18 hour ride home but were not able to figure out where it was coming from They said the engine oil level was steady so it wasn't engine oil.

I recommended the site (DMCTALK) but can't say if he will join.

And yes, this is the car of my deceased friend. I saved the CD that came with the car, and his California plate, I think I'm going to have a photo of him painted and I'll frame it along with his old plate. I miss the man for the man he was. It was a trying moment giving the car a last once over before selling it. Just picturing my buddy sitting there with his big smile, larger then life he was.

Thanks again, I'll check in a few more times to answer any other questions or comments and to see if the new owner checks in. Thanks again

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

That's very cool you kept the plate. Anything, (be it a plate or an entire car) to help you remember and have a physical connection is all that matters in the end. Really it's all about how you deal with it because every single one of these cars are just hunks of metal and will all eventually be destroyed.

When I'm gone, all the stuff I have of my father's will be either thrown away or resold. Doesn't matter. Once I am gone, it just becomes physical materialistic junk. Do what's right for you right now....and it seems you did.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2