FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What else controls the alternator to charge? New DMW 120 Amp installed, won't charge

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Buy a universal battery ground cable at the auto store, you'll obviously need one long enough and one that has loops on both ends and not a battery terminal on one end. Disconnect and bypass the cluster of brown wires with the ground cable, running it from the alternator large post directly to the bulkhead +bolt. Then see what your voltages are.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

"Back-in-the-day" before cars got so complicated, a quick and "dirty" test of an alternator or generator was, once the motor was running, disconnect the battery and if it kept running it meant the alternator or generator was making at least some electric. If you try that today you risk damaging the sensitive electronics because the battery dampens out the pulses from the alternator and "sinks" or stabilizes the voltage. No need to do that, most auto stores will test your battery and alternator for free.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I remember in highschool shop class we had no batteries. So to get a car going we would start it with a battery charger to the battery leads, then disconnect it after it was running so we could drive the cars around the shop/building.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I remember in highschool shop class we had no batteries. So to get a car going we would start it with a battery charger to the battery leads, then disconnect it after it was running so we could drive the cars around the shop/building.
    It would work with no electronics. But the battery acts like a big capacitor and filters the rectified AC from the alternator. Most electronics should have capacitors that filter the car voltage and may work fine but your really testing unknown voltages at different RPM on the alternator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    LMAO! Man, does that bring back memories!...a red shop rag and one of those wide oversize red rubber bands for the hot terminal...
    Next up, 6 foot of hose and a can of ether. Makes a car with a bad fuel pump jump like this guy -

And since we're in a playful mood- I hereby promise to never mention disconnecting the battery while the engine is running again, with or without mentioning it is extremely hard on the regulator, underlining it, and stating not to try it, never, ever. So help me God and keep me steadfast in the due and true performance of the same.

My VIN:    03572

My battery disconnect relay disconnects the ground on the AUX relay that powers the ignition then waits one second before turning the battery off.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2