FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drivers front and rear indicator lights not working, but hazards do.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check on those things. I know for the fronts I swapped the new bulbs around and both bulbs worked on the passenger side without issues. I even replaced the indicator harness with a known good harness and still no running light from the drivers side.

For the rear passenger taillight. I just turned on the turn signal and both flash but they do so quickly. Leading me to believe I have some connectors in the back to clean up better. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll check on those things. I know for the fronts I swapped the new bulbs around and both bulbs worked on the passenger side without issues. I even replaced the indicator harness with a known good harness and still no running light from the drivers side.

For the rear passenger taillight. I just turned on the turn signal and both flash but they do so quickly. Leading me to believe I have some connectors in the back to clean up better. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again.
    A quick flash (hyperflash) turn signal can happen when LED bulbs are replaced but the flasher relay is still original. The original flasher relay is not compatible with most LED bulbs. Replace the flasher relay with an LED compatible one.

Ron

The flasher relay is LED compatible and came with the kit supplied by the Delorean vendor.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The flasher relay is LED compatible and came with the kit supplied by the Delorean vendor.
    I think you need to revert back to the old relay and bulbs just to get the problem sorted out. You may be working against yourself with the LED kit added on.

Once the main issue is resolved, then put the LED kit back in place.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think you need to revert back to the old relay and bulbs just to get the problem sorted out. You may be working against yourself with the LED kit added on.

Once the main issue is resolved, then put the LED kit back in place.
    Noooooooooooooooo...ok I'll give it a try. Honestly I'll need to see if I still have the old bulbs. I hope they didn't get thrown out.

To add to the weirdness it turns out the drivers side indicator flickers when the lights are on. I created a video to explain it better. You'll notice the turn signal operation works. So does the hazard. But you'll also notice it will flicker a bit when it should be fully lit up.
    Last edited by dmcerik; 04-26-2021 at 03:40 PM.

After watching the vid and reading the thread again, I think DMC-Ron has it right.

[I'm assuming in 1., where he says "signal light" in the first sentence, he means "socket" (the front signal lights are ok). And in the second sentence, "bulb".
    The left front parking/position light and left front side marker/running light being tied together (G/B wire), while only one works, points to a poor connection as mentioned (more then a wrong bulb to me).

And in 2., I'm assuming where he says "right taillight", he means "right rear directional indicator" (the taillights are ok). The right rear directional indicator and right front directional indicator being tied together, while only the rear comes on, points to a wiring problem -- Somehow the right rear directional indicator's G/W wire is not connected to the other G/W wires in the harness AND it is getting power when it shouldn't.]

It doesn't make sense that nothing was done but swapping bulbs and sitting a while...

I had a quick 10min break between meetings so I ran into the garage to test the front drivers turn signal socket. You know, the old "wiggle the bulb and see what happens" trick. With enough wiggling at just the right angle I was able to get the bulb to turn on properly. It doesn't behave properly if I'm not wiggling it (don't laugh).

I tried using contact cleaner and some mini files to try and clean things up, but can't seem to make it any better. Unless someone has a sure way of cleaning these sockets, looks like I'll just buy a new harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Somehow the right rear directional indicator's G/W wire is not connected to the other G/W wires in the harness AND it is getting power when it shouldn't.]
    I have a feeling this is going to take a lot of time to figure this one out. Wish me luck.

I have a feeling this is going to take a lot of time to figure this one out. Wish me luck.
    lol -- Good luck!

Sounds like you have the LF parking light figured out.
    For the RR directional indicator/turn signal, you might try removing fuse #4 (indicators & stop). My guess is it will stay on. If so, leave #4 out and pull #8, then #2....you might get another good clue. If not, keep pulling fuses until it goes out.
    Look for any mods from the bulkhead connectors (Black 9 pin) down to the boards. Pay particular attention to the G/W wire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast