FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drivers front and rear indicator lights not working, but hazards do.

Drivers front and rear indicator lights not working, but hazards do.

Hello.

While going through my lighting this winter I noticed my drivers side front indicator light doesn't light up when the headlights are on. Neither does the rear drivers orange light. When I try the hazards out they do flash without issues. So I decided to upgrade my lights to LED with a kit from a Delorean vendor that included the new LED compatible relay. I cleaned all the connectors and put all the lights in, and still those two lights don't turn on when the headlights are on. Just flashers. The front drivers indicator harness was really corroded so I figured that might be my issue. I replaced the connectors and STILL those two lights don't turn on when the headlight is on.

Any ideas?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think the left and right sides are on separate fuses so I would check the bulb and fuse first. Ialso think the fronts are dual element, just because one element works doesn't mean it's OK. I haven't looked in awhile, but the turn signal relay and hazard relays may(not sure) be separate as well so don't forget to check that. The rear turn signal light is not supposed to light for anything other than turn signal and hazards, (you are talking about turn signal lights and not side marker lights right?).
    Last edited by Michael; 03-29-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Here's two photos with the headlight switch clicked in just once.

Front
    Back

Notice how in the rear picture the passenger side has two lights on.

Yeah that rear orange signal light should never come on with the headlight or parking lights, just signal and hazard. Someone might have modded it or there is a problem with the tail light board, etc. You may have to do some diagnosing with a wiring diagram to figure that one out. If the orange signals worked before and you want to keep it that way, check fuse #2( I checked they are fused right and left sides separate), then bulbs and make sure they are the correct bulb. Someone may have used dual element bulbs in the rear for the suspected mod.

I just replaced all the exterior bulbs with LED from a Delorean vendors kit. But the light behavior was happening before the upgrade. The tail light boards are from PJ Grady. After all these years they are still very clean. I even swapped boards around and the behavior did not follow the board. I'll check fuses out.

All the fuses and terminals look good.

The drivers indicator works fine when the flashers are on. Knowing that, would there be another place I should start investigating?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    All the fuses and terminals look good.

The drivers indicator works fine when the flashers are on. Knowing that, would there be another place I should start investigating?
    Check voltage at the socket and work back. You will need the wiring diagram and don't be surprised to see that yours may not match OE.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Might be a bad hazard switch. It "takes over" the turn signal circuit and can fail such that the hazards will work but not the turn signals.

But go for the easy stuff first, turn signals are on a separate fuse.

The left and right tail, parking, and running marker lights are on separate fuses. The turn signals left and right are on the same fuse as each other.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16563

I had a similar whacky problem. The first was solved when I inspected the plug that attached to the rear tail board. The ground (black) metal conductor inside the plug was bent back and not making contact with the board contact. So i fixed that. Then the blinking issue in my front 2 markers was resolved by installing the correct dual filament bulbs.
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Hello.

While going through my lighting this winter I noticed my drivers side front indicator light doesn't light up when the headlights are on. Neither does the rear drivers orange light. When I try the hazards out they do flash without issues. So I decided to upgrade my lights to LED with a kit from a Delorean vendor that included the new LED compatible relay. I cleaned all the connectors and put all the lights in, and still those two lights don't turn on when the headlights are on. Just flashers. The front drivers indicator harness was really corroded so I figured that might be my issue. I replaced the connectors and STILL those two lights don't turn on when the headlight is on.

Any ideas?
    Erik,
    The rear orange (amber) tail light segment should not come on with the running or headlights. It should only flash with the turn signal or emergency flasher. The photo you have showing the right amber segment lit with the running/headlights on is incorrect. As is see it you have two issues:

1. Your left front signal light is not getting the running light circuit. The front signal lights are dual element 1157 type and get two independent circuits, one element is powered from the run lights and a second element powered from the turn signal (emergency) circuit. Make sure your LED bulb is a dual element 1157 type. Check the socket of your left front indicator light. 1157 bulbs will only fit properly if inserted correctly. The bayonets on the bulb are offset and the lower one must go in the longer socket slot. The socket is often corroded or the bulb is not quite seated properly to make contact with both filaments. Try rotating the bulb in the socket or change the bulb. You just need to get the running element working.

2. Something is amiss with the right taillight. The amber turn single should not be on with the running/headlights. Since the issue stays the same after swapping the taillight boards, you need to check the right side taillight connector. Insure that the contacts in the connector are making good contact. Often they get bent back. The electrical contacts are only on one side of the OEM taillight boards. That's the side the connector must make contact with. I'm not sure if the PJ Grady boards have contacts on both sides. There is only one ground connection on the taillight connector and a good ground connection is critical for everything to work. If the connector checks out, then begin troubleshooting to see why you have power on the turn signal with the headlights on.

Ron

Taillight connector pinout.jpg
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 03-30-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast