FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repairing frame rust and epoxy coating

My VIN:    10309

If the brake/clutch fluid has done this much damage to the closing plate there is likely lots of similar damage to the frame in the same are. Use a mirror or my personal favorite an inspection camera to check for more bubbled epoxy in that corner and use POR15 or Eastwood Internal Frame paint. Also check
    the area of the frame on the left front tire side, some of the fluid could have dribbled out. Use a dremel tool with cutting wheel to get down to the frame prior to using any product.

My VIN:    11596

Hey guys,

I posted in another thread regarding converting an auto frame to a manual frame. I have the opportunity to buy an auto frame that has already been "Painted with POR15". The photos I have seen of the frame look very clean and shiny like Mark D's last photo of the fuel tank cover plate. I'm not sure the frame has been painted with "Rustoleum Smoke Grey" or anything similar.

If the car doesn't have a Rustoleum top coat, is it recommended to do so before installing the frame? Or is the POR15 sufficient protection and the Rustoleum only to blend the repaired area with existing epoxy? In this case the ENTIRE frame is coated in POR15.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Anyone have experience with Eastwood rust encapsulator?

https://www.eastwood.com/rust-encaps...e-aerosol.html
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

Not personally but I have seen owners mention they used it in some boxed sections of the frame, inside the trailing arms, and inside the roof box. I almost used it inside the trailing arms but I had good luck brushings POR15 into the arms using a small paint brush and a wooden sticked taped to it.

By the way, what's with the "Kansas City" in your sig? Just wondering as I am in KC.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    By the way, what's with the "Kansas City" in your sig? Just wondering as I am in KC.
    A car I owned was produced at a plant there.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

Yes, I used it in my roofbox. It's stupid messy and gets everywhere, but that's kind of the point. In time, I'll be using it inside my frame too, especially places that are impossible to reach
    without a full frame off.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Anyone remember offhand if the right Rustoleum color match is the:

V7586 Smoke Gray (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...-fl-oz/3446440)

or the

7786 Gloss Smoke Gray (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...6502/100196872)

At like $18 a quart I don't want to find out I picked the wrong one

Edit: They both seem to be gloss smoke gray but one is "high performance" and one isn't? What's the difference? Do I care?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Anyone remember offhand if the right Rustoleum color match is the:

V7586 Smoke Gray (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...-fl-oz/3446440)

or the

7786 Gloss Smoke Gray (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...6502/100196872)

At like $18 a quart I don't want to find out I picked the wrong one

Edit: They both seem to be gloss smoke gray but one is "high performance" and one isn't? What's the difference? Do I care?
    The stuff I bought back from this thread was 7786 smoke gray (gloss) in a spray can. Not sure what the color difference between the high performance version would be. I've used their "professional" line of spray cans and the benefit there is slightly better coverage, and you can spray upside down or any orientation with the can. The professional cans are also 16oz instead of 12oz.

When I did that original color match test between krylon and rustoleum 10 years ago I just brought that epoxy paint chip with me to the store and picked the three cans that seemed to match the closest.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The stuff I bought back from this thread was 7786 smoke gray (gloss) in a spray can. Not sure what the color difference between the high performance version would be. I've used their "professional" line of spray cans and the benefit there is slightly better coverage, and you can spray upside down or any orientation with the can. The professional cans are also 16oz instead of 12oz.

When I did that original color match test between krylon and rustoleum 10 years ago I just brought that epoxy paint chip with me to the store and picked the three cans that seemed to match the closest.

Thanks Mark! Appreciate the reply. I did some more digging and it seems like the two are virtually identical colors, but the "Professional" is a thicker, easier to apply formulation that has extra hardeners - and also isn't available in California in the first place. I thought it was just out of stock at my one local store, but then discovered it doesn't meet our environmental rules and so only have the regular Smoke Grey to fall back on.

I'm going with brush-on since this is a complicated crevice I'm heading in to (the area under the brake master/fuel tank plate) and I don't want to make a huge overspray mess. Would rather just take my time with a brush than clean things later. I really hate paint
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Silly California. You know you can just add a hardener to the paint, right? You can add about 10 drops per quart of liquid hardener and it will do the job.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast