FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starter motor permanently engaged

My VIN:    2563 & 3486

Starter motor permanently engaged

Hi all,
    This is my first post as I am a happy owner of 2 Deloreans since last month: one manual, one automatic.
    Both cars have a mains switch breaker behind the passenger's seat.
    The manual one (vin 3486) was running perfectly until a few days ago: I got into the car, tried to start the engine and I heard a loud grinding noise in the engine bay. The loud noise wouldn't stop even after taking the key off, so I had to turn the mains switch breaker off.
    The noise comes from the starter motor as soon as I turn the mains switch breaker on, even if the key is not in. I thought it may be to do with relay #29 in the fuse box, but removing the relay makes absolutely no difference. Turning the key and trying to start the car makes no difference either.
    The only thing I can think of is that the previous day I tried to organise the cables under the steering wheel (I have quite a mess there) and wonder if there may be some short circuit there, but I can't see anything wrong...
    So the car is sitting in my garage (which makes the garage look beautiful), but I can't start the engine.
    Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

My VIN:    03572

The starter has a solenoid (works like a relay) mounted on the starter that if it sticks it will make the starter motor power on all the time. That would explain if you pull the starter relay and it keeps running the starter anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Do you have the schematic ? Can you read it ?

How much do you know about car electrics ? (sorry I have to ask this "dumb" question as the electrical knowledge levels vary extremely)

have you simply tried to pull the wires on the starter to see if it the problem is from the wiring / relay or inside the starter ?

Many say the Delorean has soo many electrical problems - most say it because the don't know the electrical basics.
    at least that's my experience.
    Use the schematic and in a few minutes you have the problem.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hello and welcome!

For reference, here is a picture of the original Paris-Rhone starter (assuming that is the one your car still has):

and the solenoid removed. (middle one is the original, and the one on the right is a new one. Ignore the device on the left)

Depending on your level of skill, the solenoid can be removed and serviced. There are copper contacts that may be stuck. If so, you can perhaps flip one around and fix the problem (depending on what your issue is).
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-02-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

If it is the solenoid on your original starter, I would suggest forgoing replacing only the solenoid and switch the starter out for one that is from a 1988 Eagle Premier engine. The Eagle starter is much smaller, stronger and a bit more quiet. This is a very popular upgrade and in fact, I have one I am about to install on my car.

You can get the Eagle starter from a local auto parts store and most have lifetime warranties on them so you never have to worry about purchasing a new one should it ever fail.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If it has anything to do with what you did under the steering wheel, it would probably involve the White/Red wire. It is used to trigger the starter relay (#28, NOT #29). Power on it would cause the starter to constantly run, but it shouldn't grind.
    I'm with the others WRT it being the starter solenoid and just replacing the whole unit with an Eagle starter.
    When they hang like that, a disk and at least one of the two copper studs it connects together usually melt.
    If you remove the starter and the gear is pushed out to the end of the starter, or, you connect a jumper cable (-) to the case and the other cable (+) to the large solenoid stud that does not connect to the starter and it spins, it is the problem. (Secure the unit because it will jump.)

The sudden grinding, and, it not doing this when you turned the main switch on the first time (before you tried to start it) sounds odd. ...A broke/bent fork or loose pivot bolt could explain the grinding and it spinning without turning the key. Not enough info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The starter has a solenoid (works like a relay) mounted on the starter that if it sticks it will make the starter motor power on all the time. That would explain if you pull the starter relay and it keeps running the starter anyway.
    Good point! Thanks. I will have to explore the solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hello and welcome!

For reference, here is a picture of the original Paris-Rhone starter (assuming that is the one your car still has):

and the solenoid removed. (middle one is the original, and the one on the right is a new one. Ignore the device on the left)

Depending on your level of skill, the solenoid can be removed and serviced. There are copper contacts that may be stuck. If so, you can perhaps flip one around and fix the problem (depending on what your issue is).
    Thanks for the pics. They are so helpful. I think its time to get under the car!

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    If it is the solenoid on your original starter, I would suggest forgoing replacing only the solenoid and switch the starter out for one that is from a 1988 Eagle Premier engine. The Eagle starter is much smaller, stronger and a bit more quiet. This is a very popular upgrade and in fact, I have one I am about to install on my car.

You can get the Eagle starter from a local auto parts store and most have lifetime warranties on them so you never have to worry about purchasing a new one should it ever fail.
    Thanks for that! Not sure if the Eagle unit is easy to find in Spain, but surely Deloreango has an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If it has anything to do with what you did under the steering wheel, it would probably involve the White/Red wire. It is used to trigger the starter relay (#28, NOT #29). Power on it would cause the starter to constantly run, but it shouldn't grind.
    I'm with the others WRT it being the starter solenoid and just replacing the whole unit with an Eagle starter.
    When they hang like that, a disk and at least one of the two copper studs it connects together usually melt.
    If you remove the starter and the gear is pushed out to the end of the starter, or, you connect a jumper cable (-) to the case and the other cable (+) to the large solenoid stud that does not connect to the starter and it spins, it is the problem. (Secure the unit because it will jump.)

The sudden grinding, and, it not doing this when you turned the main switch on the first time (before you tried to start it) sounds odd. ...A broke/bent fork or loose pivot bolt could explain the grinding and it spinning without turning the key. Not enough info.
    Thanks for your reply. I will video it tomorrow. I may be saying “grinding” when I should say “spinning”...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast