FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: HVAC Panel knob/selector wont seat...

My VIN:    10207

Question HVAC Panel knob/selector wont seat...

So, what is up with this:

DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0291.jpg

Why won't this damn thing seat back on like it is supposed to?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

I have this problem. On mine, there were two issues.

1. The panel that it mounts on was slid behind the horizontal console panel. It is supposed to be sitting on it in a indention at the front. This kept me from pushing the knob completely on.
    2. The knob is old and doesn't fit very tight. Aparently, they are not made any more so it might have to be modified to fit tight. Mine is not too bad yet and I have bigger fish to fry.

If yours is real loose, maybe you can put a small piece of wire in the side to tighten it up.

My VIN:    03572

I had to adjust the knob spacing on mine a little but not as much as yours. The blower knob I removed the the white spacer. I think the temp adjust knob should have a backing nut (two nuts) which allows it to be adjusted. My HVAC circuit board also moves the panel 1/32" inch forward.

You can move your faceplate forward a little putting shims on the the 4 corner standoffs and a matching shim on the screw standoff.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Looks like it has room from the pics.
    IIRC, it is the same as the fan speed switch knob. See what happens when you switch them.
    (Seems I remember one had a copper wire crammed down in the hole holding it off (...lol. I used a small piece of plastic bag.)

My VIN:    10207

Sounds like a general problem, something I will have to fidget with at some later point in time.
    Thanks for the input.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The HVAC panel itself is finicky to seat. Mine will act like it's in place and the screw will even tighten but once the knobs go on, I know I didn't get it in right. Try removing the panel and repositioning it, usually takes a bit of wiggling to get it seated correctly.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-02-2021 at 04:41 PM.