FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Driver info needed

My VIN:    16306

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    About the original 85MPH speedo.
    You can thank the Arab Oil Embargo, the U.S. Congress and President Nixon for the one in your car.
    85MPH max speedos were mandated on all new cars sold here when the DeLorean went on the market, including such cars as the Porsche 928 and the DeTomaso Pantera.
    That rule also mandated the special font for the 55MPH index mark. The national speed limit was 55 at the time.
    The 85 MPH speedometer and highlighted 55 wasn't mandated until 1979, so that is primarily thanks to Jimmy Carter and Joan Claybrook. The law was repelled a couple years later after Reagan took office. I recall seeing some 1980's Honda's that didn't have the 85 MPH speedo, and were made after the law was gone.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Aparently, out of stock. Anybody installed one of them? Looks like it should be easy. Sometimes looks are deceiving. They cost more than a dollar per mile. Lol. (I think it would be worth it)

There are a few How Tos in the Resource Section that should help. Two Here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...lb-Replacement
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...while-it-s-out

Only thing I would add is that short ratchet wrenches help and keep track of where the fasteners go (several sizes etc.)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check that the mechanical and vacuum advance is working and working correctly. The stock Delorean is in no sense a "performance" type vehicle so there is only so much you can expect from it. If you think the 5-speed is bad, try an automatic! The 170 MPH speedo is just a stock speedo with a stick-on label that is re calibrated. Somewhere is a .pdf of the label that you can print and then you take your speedo to a shop to be re calibrated. Or you can look for one from one of the vendors or maybe find a used one. Part of the original Island Turbo install was also doing the 170 MPH speedo. The brakes were set up so the fronts would lock up before the rears because if the rears locked up first the car would skid uncontrollably because of the rear engine. Make sure you have the correct tire sizes and pressures to maintain that bias. Test driving on an unpaved road is not the best way to test any car. Hard to tell if it is leading to one side, pulling when applying the brakes, noises, etc. It is useful to test the clutch, transmission and engine. If you have exhaust leaks you probably need new gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and the heads. Fun job.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check that the mechanical and vacuum advance is working and working correctly.

If you have exhaust leaks you probably need new gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and the heads. Fun job.
    Ive checked the mechanical advance and it appears to work. The vacuum does not leak, but I haven't confirmed the amount of advance. (If any) I don't have anything to generate 5" of vacuum. Maybe I could use my AC pump somehow.

On the exhaust, I'm kind of figuring on a manifold gasket. I had my wife rev the car while I felt around underneath. I couldn't feel or see anything. It sounds like either the driver's side manifold or maybe the flex section on the cross over pipe. Is it susceptible to cracking? What I could see wasn't cracked, but the heat shield looked like a section was black with soot.

I'm going to order one of those manifold kits with studs and all because mine look terrible. I don't want to tear into it until I have the kit on my bench. Might get the manifolds ceramic coated.

Ive checked the mechanical advance and it appears to work. The vacuum does not leak, but I haven't confirmed the amount of advance. (If any) I don't have anything to generate 5" of vacuum. Maybe I could use my AC pump somehow.
    Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line at the distributor.
    Check the timing at idle. It should be 13°.
    Rev the engine to 4000 RPM. It should add 20°, giving 33°.
    Reconnect the vacuum.
    Rev the engine to 4000 RPM. It should add 20°, giving 53°.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line at the distributor.
    Check the vacuum at idle. It should be 13°.
    Rev the engine to 4000 RPM. It should add 20°, giving 33°.
    Reconnect the vacuum.
    Rev the engine to 4000 RPM. It should add 20°, giving 53°.
    The vacuum at idle should be 13 degrees? Ha-ha. (I know what you meant)

I'm working by myself. How do you rev it to 4000 while looking at the timing marks? I can work the throttle, but I can't do it very accurate and I can't see the tach from there.

The vacuum at idle should be 13 degrees? Ha-ha. (I know what you meant)

I'm working by myself. How do you rev it to 4000 while looking at the timing marks? I can work the throttle, but I can't do it very accurate and I can't see the tach from there.
    LOL Sorry, I'll fix that...
    (Ah, you should of been nicer to your helper last time... ;-)
    You really shouldn't use the tach in the dash for timing anyway. Use a multimeter and the throttle spool.
    As for RPM accuracy, 4000+ will work. It maxes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ? ? ? ? View Post
    The 85 MPH speedometer and highlighted 55 wasn't mandated until 1979, so that is primarily thanks to Jimmy Carter and Joan Claybrook. The law was repelled a couple years later after Reagan took office. I recall seeing some 1980's Honda's that didn't have the 85 MPH speedo, and were made after the law was gone.
    Some companies (Buick, IIRC) had purchased so many 85MPH speedometers that they continued to use them well after the law had been repealed.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Odd how the 85mph myth stuck to the DeLorean and not all the other cars with the same "top speed".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Odd how the 85mph myth stuck to the DeLorean and not all the other cars with the same "top speed".
    Most of them are in the crusher. Of course, the Delorean looks fast also.

I have a C7 Corvette. I guess it's capable of 200 mph. I've had it to 160 once. I can count the number of times it's been over a hundred on my fingers. BUT, I have no idea how many times it's been over 85! I would be happy to have 120 on the dial. I just checked with DMC and they don't have them right now. (There working on a new supplier) Probably they won't get them untill all this Covid nonsense is over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast