FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intake casting

Intake casting

Have you guys got a rough intake casting? It sticks out right at the top. I was changing spark plugs the other day and it was interfering with the extension. I don't know why my pics won't post. It says "invalid URL". They work everywhere else.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...e/dscn2327.jpg

It is very sharp and doesn't look finished. I took a file to it make some clearance.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...e/dscn2328.jpg

Now the extension goes straight to the plug.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...e/dscn2330.jpg

If I ever remove the intake, I would like to dress the entire edge. You guys that have everything painted, did you file yours off.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Maybe try 3/8" drive and/or a universal joint. (And don't use it or the ratchet to start the threads ;-)

When it asks for the URL, try not using "https://"
    www.supermotors.net/getfile/1164681/fullsize/dscn2327.jpg should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe try 3/8" drive and/or a universal joint. (And don't use it or the ratchet to start the threads ;-)

When it asks for the URL, try not using "https://"
    www.supermotors.net/getfile/1164681/fullsize/dscn2327.jpg should work.
    Actually, that is a 3/8" drive. In any case, I was not that concerned about changing plugs. The main thing is it looks so unfinished and is a hazard because it's sharp. Seems like they would have debured it better. To make it nice, I would have to make chips all over the engine. (Unless I have it off)

I've recommended this on the various Facebook groups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JRE9G6AY&psc=1

Works great and can get to any of the spark plugs with no interference. Since the socket is part of the extension, you don't have to worry about the socket coming off and having to fish for it.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

castings rough

the intake and valve covers can be
    ground, sanded and polished to look
    like chrome, really dresses up engine.....

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I've recommended this on the various Facebook groups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JRE9G6AY&psc=1

Works great and can get to any of the spark plugs with no interference. Since the socket is part of the extension, you don't have to worry about the socket coming off and having to fish for it.
    You guys are missing my point. I own tons of tools. Getting the spark plug out was never in doubt. If the extra flashing had a purpose, it could be four times as thick and I would still be able to get the plugs with the tools I own. It's just that there is no purpose to that extra aluminum flashing sticking out. It's sharp on wires, hoses and hands. The interference with a straight extension is not a big deal, but if grinding the flashing off makes it easier to service, great.

I was thinking more along the lines that maybe I got an intake that didn't quite pass quality control. I think .200" of flashing is unexceptable.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

They are all like that and it's driven me nuts too. We've seen a few spark plugs cross threaded by people who didn't really notice. I always considered it just yet another slightly annoying quirk of the car.

When I got my intake coated, I did clean up a lot of the casting flash. Not as much as I should have, I got tired of the process before it was a perfect as it could have been. I've seen a couple cleaned up but it seems most people don't bother.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    You guys are missing my point. I own tons of tools. Getting the spark plug out was never in doubt. If the extra flashing had a purpose, it could be four times as thick and I would still be able to get the plugs with the tools I own. It's just that there is no purpose to that extra aluminum flashing sticking out. It's sharp on wires, hoses and hands. The interference with a straight extension is not a big deal, but if grinding the flashing off makes it easier to service, great.

I was thinking more along the lines that maybe I got an intake that didn't quite pass quality control. I think .200" of flashing is unexceptable.
    If you take the car back to your local DMC dealer it was originally sold at in 1981 I'm sure they will push this warranty issue right through the system real quick.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post

Open the hood on any car and you'll see flashing, hell, even the intake ports of an engine has flashing hence why some people port them and clean them up. These engines are casted and if the part does not need to fit tight tolerances, they aren't going to sit there and grind them flush. As dave said, on these cars, that area of the engine is normal to have flashing sticking out.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I just always used a wobble extension with success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast