FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No engine swap section?

No engine swap section?

It would seem like there should be a "engine swap" section on this forum. I saw in a "data sheet" somewhere that there have been a number of differnt swaps. Of course, many of those people may not be on here or don't care to take the time to post. But anybody that has any info on a swap could contribute. I don't know if it's proper for a newbie like me to suggest this to the mods. (Maybe it's allready here and I can't find it.)

Obviously, Josh and Nick could have their threads moved to it. They would be the hp kings. But I would be interested in all swaps. I specifically would like to know if any body has done a swap where they lost weight and gained hp. Doing a quick search on the net, I see a Subaru EJ2.5 is 50 lbs. lighter and 165-175 hp in stock non-turbo configuration. Can't argue with Subaru reliability. Has anybody heard of that swap?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The custom Deloreans/mods section is as close as you're going to get.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Maybe this link will help: Google

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

There is a restoration section of the forum, I dont feel engine swaps are mis-represented.

Ive went through this several times with the EJ, it is simply far to wide to fit in the frame. The valve covers would hit the fiberglass on both sides of the bay, nevermind the engine cradle portion of the frame that tapers inwards.
    Im sure if you wanted to cut off the rear portion of the frame and the suspension that comes with it you could do something but its alot of work for an engine that is notorious for reliability issues. Sure the naturally aspirated variants are fairly bulletproof, but not much of an upgrade over stock in terms of power.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    There is a restoration section of the forum, I dont feel engine swaps are mis-represented.

Ive went through this several times with the EJ, it is simply far to wide to fit in the frame. The valve covers would hit the fiberglass on both sides of the bay, nevermind the engine cradle portion of the frame that tapers inwards.
    Im sure if you wanted to cut off the rear portion of the frame and the suspension that comes with it you could do something but its alot of work for an engine that is notorious for reliability issues. Sure the naturally aspirated variants are fairly bulletproof, but not much of an upgrade over stock in terms of power.
    I was wondering about that, being it's a flat engine. The fiberglass wouldn't matter to me, but I don't want to cut the frame.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

No engine swap section?

If you don’t want to cut the frame then you’re pretty much limited to a 3.0 or B280F PRV swap. A lot of other engines require frame mods to some extent.
    -----Dan B.

As Josh mentioned, the Subaru engine is too wide and not much of a horsepower gain. In fact, it would be much easier to bump up the PRV to 165-180 HP than to do that swap.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    If you don’t want to cut the frame then you’re pretty much limited to a 3.0 or B280F PRV swap. A lot of other engines require frame mods to some extent.
    I'm going to disagree with you on that one.

One of the main reasons I used the LS engine 10 years ago was because it was possible to do without cutting the frame. Since that time over two dozen different LS swaps have been completed or are in process. The reason the LS platform has become the most popular DeLorean engine swap is largely because it doesn't require cutting the frame.

At the same time I'm pretty sure Henrik's VR6 swap didn't require cutting the frame.

So maybe you're limited to a 3.0, a B280F, an LS engine, a VR6, or other straight and V-style engines that have front sump options.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 04-07-2021 at 10:24 AM.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    ... Henrik's VR6 swap didn't require cutting the frame.
    That is correct. All that was needed was to weld new attachment points for the engine mounts:

http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspo...ng-points.html
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    ... front sump options.
    Ah yes, that jogged my memory: We did replace the oil pan on my VR6 engine in order to clear the frame:

http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspo...or-engine.html
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast