FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Delphi Fuel Pump DFG0089 & Hardware replacement

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is there a big savings? I don't know how much they charge now but I think years ago it was $450 or around there (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong), I can't look now because they show out of stock. In comparison, the Delphi pump can be purchased anywhere from $75 - $200+ depending on where you look. A band is another $15 and you'd need to figure out wiring/harness. So in my opinion, yes, there is a huge cost savings but you don't get it in "kit" form with everything you need.

Also, the "big trouble" isn't fuel contamination, the problem is when fuel is left in the tank for an extended period of time where it turns to varnish. A 'sock' won't help you.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03500

By the way there's a fuel sock or pre filter. It's in the housing with the pump.

Dave B.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Which gasket is that? That's not the one that comes with the pump itself.
    Correct the top seal is different than the one that seals the hole. Since I tell people to buy the pump at AutoZone so you get a lifetime warranty. I don’t want to cut the locator tab off the pump in case a smart employee notices during a warranty exchange. The top seal I use allows the tab to remain intact.

You can save some money doing the job yourself. The AC Delco Mu1777 is what I use. It is the same pump as the Delphi. I believe Delphi makes parts for GM. Anyhow my kit costs $75 and comes with everything you need to set it up. You need to have a working sender or buy Dave’s pump logic box. When AutoZone has an online 25% off coupon the pump comes to like $150.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 04-12-2021 at 01:03 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Correct the top seal is different than the one that seals the hole. Since I tell people to buy the pump at AutoZone so you get a lifetime warranty. I don’t want to cut the locator tab off the pump in case a smart employee notices during a warranty exchange. The top seal I use allows the tab to remain intact.

You can save some money doing the job yourself. The AC Delco Mu1777 is what I use. It is the same pump as the Delphi. I believe Delphi makes parts for GM. Anyhow my kit costs $75 and comes with everything you need to set it up. You need to have a working sender or buy Dave’s pump logic box. When AutoZone has an online 25% off coupon the pump comes to like $150.
    Locator tab? I purchased the Delphi one and I don't remember cutting off a locator tab to fit the pump. It came with a thick rubber ring seal but not the top one you are using.

Locator tab? I purchased the Delphi one and I don't remember cutting off a locator tab to fit the pump. It came with a thick rubber ring seal but not the top one you are using.
    There is a small plastic tab that can interfere with the V clamp. I filed mine down.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    There is a small plastic tab that can interfere with the V clamp. I filed mine down.
    Is it at the top or bottom of the lip?

My VIN:    16409

Here is a top view.

MU1777_Alternate7__ra_p.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Here is a top view.

MU1777_Alternate7__ra_p.jpg
    Thanks, Chris. I can't recall if mine had that tab or not.

My VIN:    03572

Thanks, Chris. I can't recall if mine had that tab or not.
    I think they all have that tab. It's a good idea to have a way to not have to cut it off. Not only for guarantee but if you have to replace it on the road then you don't need to cut it off with no tools.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Excited, bought all my goodies and we shall see how it all comes together. Already took out the old pump and baffle inside. So glad to get rid of all the unnecessary outdated stuff and rubber parts. Hopefully should be a better performing and quieter pump especially on high temp days.

Randy
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast