FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Delphi Fuel Pump DFG0089 & Hardware replacement

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Delphi Fuel Pump DFG0089 & Hardware replacement

Hi all,

Yesterday , after driving in prolonged stop and go traffic, in ~ 90 degree weather, when I got home I noticed a slight buzzing noise from the front of the car at idle. I figured it's the fuel pump being louder than normal and heat associated with the driving. I've read all the shortcomings of the stock fuel setup and heat associated with it.

It's been like 8 years since I replaced mine with the standard setup, and figured I'd go ahead and upgrade this system and get rid of the extra crap in the tank that is outdated as well.
    I've heard a few use this new modern pump with success.

Can anyone point out the links to the required "v-clamp" to hold it down, as well as good sources for the 90 degree quick disconnects to the pump?
    Also, if I were to install this while leaving my fuel sender in place, which of the two outer harness wires are (+) and neg (-) ? (if anyone happens to know off hand).

Thanks really appreciate any info,

-Randy
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

As I recall the go-to is a standard 4" stainless steel v-band clamp. Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372940661058

These are commonly for turbos and exhaust systems so a lot of them come with the flanges to weld to the plumbing. But in this circumstance only the clamp is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    As I recall the go-to is a standard 4" stainless steel v-band clamp. Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372940661058

These are commonly for turbos and exhaust systems so a lot of them come with the flanges to weld to the plumbing. But in this circumstance only the clamp is needed.
    Hey Nick, great seeing you yesterday, thanks for this info! I saw a few of these 4in ones but just wasn't sure.
    Appreciate the link.

-Randy
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

My VIN:    03572

In post 21 of my thread, I posted a number for the clamp but have not tested it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...uel-pump/page3
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Great links so far, thank you . First time considering these modern pumps. I noticed it eliminates a lot of the standard hardware in the tank like baffle and tubing.
    Are these pumps adjustable in height and if so, what is the proper setting? or is it pretty much drop in and that's it? Just wondering how low it is supposed to be from the bottom of the tank?

Thanks,

The problem with V clamps is that the diameter is just one of the measurements. The “V” channel itself must also be the proper size to engage both the fuel pump and gas tank. To keep things simple, I purchased the V clamp directly from DMCH.

For quick disconnects, you’ll need:

1/4 inch barb* to 5/16
    1/4 inch barb * to 6/16 [3/8]
    *The disconnects I purchased actually ranged in size from 1/4 at the tip to 5/16
    You can find these on Amazon.

As far as wiring, the instructions included with the Delphi pump will tell you.
    As far as height, the unit is spring loaded. During installation into the DeLorean fuel tank you’ll need to compress it slightly in order for it to seat correctly.
    Last edited by CFI; 04-11-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    The problem with V clamps is that the diameter is just one of the measurements. The “V” channel itself must also be the proper size to engage both the fuel pump and gas tank. To keep things simple, I purchased the V clamp directly from DMCH.

For quick disconnects, you’ll need:

1/4 inch barb* to 5/16
    1/4 inch barb * to 6/16 [3/8]
    *The disconnects I purchased actually ranged in size from 1/4 at the tip to 5/16
    You can find these on Amazon.

As far as wiring, the instructions included with the Delphi pump will tell you.
    As far as height, the unit is spring loaded. During installation into the DeLorean fuel tank you’ll need to compress it slightly in order for it to seat correctly.
    Many thanks CFI, great information and very helpful!!

My VIN:    16409

Just did this for a friend. I’ve been putting together install kits.

62152E63-0954-4DBA-ACCD-3961258A5DD1.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 04-12-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Just did this for a friend. I’ve been putting together install kits.

62152E63-0954-4DBA-ACCD-3961258A5DD1.jpg
    Which gasket is that? That's not the one that comes with the pump itself.

Is there a big savings in sourcing the parts yourself? I just bought the complete kit from DMC. The only thing I don't like about it is no fuel sock. At least not one I could see. Seems like if the big trouble with these cars is fuel contamination, you would want a big fuel sock.

Oh, and the other complaint is the fuel sender doesn't work until you start the car. (Not just turn the key on) I might go back to the original sender.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast