FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which Tires To Buy

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I got about 500 miles on mine. They are the best tires I think I ever had(on the DeLorean) and I had Pilots at one time.
    To Michael and other former Michelin Pilot to Hankook owners out there,
    How does the sidewall flex when cornering on the Hankook compare to the Pilots? Not your average lolly gag turning corner, I mean driving to have fun in a corner cornering.

I loved the Pilots. My current Cooper CS3 & CS5s are squishy side to side in corners.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    To Michael and other former Michelin Pilot to Hankook owners out there,
    How does the sidewall flex when cornering on the Hankook compare to the Pilots? Not your average lolly gag turning corner, I mean driving to have fun in a corner cornering.

I loved the Pilots. My current Cooper CS3 & CS5s are squishy side to side in corners.
    I drove my car pretty hard at the 421 cruise at last year's DLG and I was on my old Cobras then. I never got close to maxing out those tires' performance let alone these and I drove hard enough to glaze a front pad (then again I was on a broke shock at the time and didn't know it). I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the DeLorean has enough guts to push any new tire to it's limits. I'm sure you press it hard enough into a turn any tire will break loose but I am not keen on pushing the envelope back on my 40yr old collector car either.

That said I did press it into a few corners on the way back from getting them mounted and I liked what I felt. I now have new AVO shocks and Hankooks so I am looking forward to another go at the Snake.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3028

I am riding on Hankooks on the front and Cooper Cobras on the rear. That is until my back ordered rear Hankooks come in. One thing I noticed when changing over from the Pilots is how much softer and fresher the new rubber feels. The old tires were so hard.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    I am riding on Hankooks on the front and Cooper Cobras on the rear. That is until my back ordered rear Hankooks come in. One thing I noticed when changing over from the Pilots is how much softer and fresher the new rubber feels. The old tires were so hard.
    I just ordered some Hankooks all around. In the reviews, people mentioned that they don't last as long. (Like maybe 35,000 miles) That is usually a sign of soft sticky rubber. They should ride nice and grip well at the expense of long life. I'm OK with that.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I just ordered some Hankooks all around. In the reviews, people mentioned that they don't last as long. (Like maybe 35,000 miles) That is usually a sign of soft sticky rubber. They should ride nice and grip well at the expense of long life. I'm OK with that.
    My car is coming up on 29K. I think I'll be OK. My previous tires were 11 years old.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

In 12 years I have put less than 30k miles on my car, and that average average has fallen off substantially in the past 7 years. I'm lucky to put 1k miles a year on my car these days.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10207

Nankang Econex

I can recommend Nankang Econex, that is the only option for matching tires I found i Denmark. I like them a lot, maybe you can get them stateside too.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2