FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inside the Otterstat

Inside the Otterstat

I just replaced my nearly new Otterstat. I installed it last fall and I'm not sure it ever worked but it certainly wasn't working on my recent outing (had to turn on the AC to get the fans on). I kicked myself for not testing it before installing. Luckily, I had purchased two and had a spare. This time I tested before I installed. My original Otterstat failed, likely because it had a crack in the sensor casing. Being a curious nerd, I decided to take the original one apart and see what was inside:

Here is the original with the crack:
    Original Otterstat with crack.jpg

Here's what's inside:
    Original Otterstat split open.jpg

And here's a closeup of the sensing element:
    Otterstat sensor element closeup.jpg

So before installing the new Otterstat:
    New Otterstat.jpg

I set up a test to heat it up and verify it would work:
    Otterstat test setup.jpg

I'm guessing others have done the same. Here are my results:
    Otterstat testing.JPG

Now to my question. There is a comment on the DGo website where it says: It is recommended to install this using 2 zip ties on the outer edges (rather than a clip thru the middle) to minimize the pressure on the internal workings
    DGo installation instruction.JPG

My retaining clip is pretty tight. Could this have caused the failure of the first replacement? Is there any concern using the original retaining clip?

Ron

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Highly recommend this product from DGO - fit and forget really
    https://www.deloreango.com/uk/stainl...otterstat.html

The original otterstat is a bit mickey mouse

Quote Originally Posted by dmc4087 View Post
    Highly recommend this product from DGO - fit and forget really
    https://www.deloreango.com/uk/stainl...otterstat.html

The original otterstat is a bit mickey mouse
    Granted. That does look like a great improvement. Plus, I like that it operates at slightly lower temperatures. But, it looks like you need to drain the system to install. Worth considering when I schedule a coolant changeout.

Ron

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I purchased the adjustable fan switch from DeLorean Parts Northwest: https://www.delorean-parts.com/produ...le-fan-switch/

While I haven't installed it yet due to having to drain and open the system up (and I haven't really had a reason to yet), it was highly recommended from others in the community. Could be another option.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The zip ties are a Band-Aid fix, but i will agree the original otterstat setup is far from ideal.
    I really like the testing apparatus. The Dgo screw in otterstat is the way to go if you are concerned.

I would see some opportunity in making an electronic work around to the otterstat, I know you have the abilities...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

In my experience the biggest cause of failure (other than that case cracking) is dropping it. We learned in the shop that if the tech drops it, right into the bin and get another one. Even a 3 foot drop onto the floor. Handle them like glass.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    In my experience the biggest cause of failure (other than that case cracking) is dropping it. We learned in the shop that if the tech drops it, right into the bin and get another one. Even a 3 foot drop onto the floor. Handle them like glass.
    And NEVER use silicone on that orange gasket seal. It will eventually cause the seal to split. Use anti-freeze to lubricate it before you install the "O" switch. I also always wondered why they put it where they did. It usually screws into the tank on the radiator on most cars. As for adjustment and setting, it is a critical range because it must work in relationship to the thermostat. The cooling fan circuit is not supposed to run continuously, it must stop and start. As for the metal clip, very often it is missing so you use a strap tie (I only use 1). Never had a problem with the metal clip. Just watch, the "O" switch terminals have a plastic insulator on each one so the clip doesn't short them out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I would see some opportunity in making an electronic work around to the otterstat, I know you have the abilities...
    -Temp gauge sender
    -Fan switch
    -Lambda switch
    -Thermo time switch
    -Idle system switch
    -Special guest star vacuum switch
    It almost sounds like crazy nonsense when you type them all out.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    -Temp gauge sender
    -Fan switch
    -Lambda switch
    -Thermo time switch
    -Idle system switch
    -Special guest star vacuum switch
    It almost sounds like crazy nonsense when you type them all out.
    With all of these things becoming "electronic" it might be time to integrate all of the functions into a controller.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The cooling fan circuit is not supposed to run continuously, it must stop and start. .
    You keep saying that, without an explanation or other proof, and I've never understood why. So I'll call BS on this theory.

I rewired mine decades ago (credit to Darryl Tinnerstadt) so that the fans would run 100% of the time with the A/C turned on. They do not cycle with the compressor. Never had an issue. The only drawback to running it all the time might be battery drawdown at idle due to the underpowered alternator, which most people have replaced by now anyway. The power surge of turning the fans off and on is a lot more trouble and wear and tear than just having them running. It won't overcool the engine (that is what the thermostat is for). It's no different than the air flow going through the radiator at 50 mph. Which doesn't seem to hurt anything.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast