FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating

My VIN:    05141

Ceramic coating

Has anyone ever ceramic coated the SS panels?

John

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    Has anyone ever ceramic coated the SS panels?

John
    I think you mean powder coat. Ceramic is for hot stuff like the exhaust manifolds. It doesn't flex. Powder coat would be better suited for the panels. But I still question why you would want to do that. The stainless look is one of the most distinguishing features of the car. To each his own.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I think you mean powder coat. Ceramic is for hot stuff like the exhaust manifolds. It doesn't flex. Powder coat would be better suited for the panels. But I still question why you would want to do that. The stainless look is one of the most distinguishing features of the car. To each his own.
    No he means the ceramic paint protection.

I think it's faddish and not worth anywhere near the prices they charge nor do I see the benefits of spending the better part of $1k to keep from waxing your car every once in awhile. In the Delorean's case I saw one guy had done it and he was happy but if you get a scratch and have to blend, you gotta redo that panel again. I just think there are much better ways to spend your money.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No he means the ceramic paint protection.

I think it's faddish and not worth anywhere near the prices they charge nor do I see the benefits of spending the better part of $1k to keep from waxing your car every once in awhile. In the Delorean's case I saw one guy had done it and he was happy but if you get a scratch and have to blend, you gotta redo that panel again. I just think there are much better ways to spend your money.
    I guess I'm going to display my ignorance. Do people wax Deloreans?

I guess I'm going to display my ignorance. Do people wax Deloreans?
    I think you already displayed your ignorance by not even knowing what it was. I was quite clear in using the word "blend" when it pertained to a DeLorean.

The guy who had it done said it repelled fingerprints better and looked better. I think it's an expensive way to solve wiping fingerprints away.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-24-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think you already displayed your ignorance by not even knowing what it was. I was quite clear in using the word "blend" when it pertained to a DeLorean.

The guy who had it done said it repelled fingerprints better and looked better. I think it's an expensive way to solve wiping fingerprints away.
    Well I did some googling and now I'm more educated. What I learned is ceramic coating that I was talking about on my truck exhaust headers is a ceramic coating. The ceramic coating that he and you are talking about is just a name. It's not really ceramic. That's not to say it is a scam, but they are deceiving people by calling it "ceramic".

So I guess we're all smarter now.

So I guess we're all smarter now.
    I know what it is, I have applied it before (the paint prep is the real labor, not the application itself), so don't lump me in with your newfound enlightenment. I'm just as dumb now as I was 3 hours ago....and then some.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-24-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Here is Xpel’s ceramic care instructions

FUSION PLUS ™ Ceramic Coatings

Aftercare

Using XPEL aftercare products when detailing your various surfaces will significantly extend the life of FUSION PLUS. Our products have been designed to complement our coatings and will help keep your surface looking newer, longer.
    Cleaning

For exterior cleaning, we recommend using XPEL Rinse Free Car Wash on a weekly basis, to avoid excessive contamination buildup. Avoid washing in direct sunlight to minimize streaking and water spotting.
    Wash from the roof downwards, leaving the dirtiest sections last, avoiding possible cross-contamination. You can follow up with XPEL Detail Spray and XPEL Ceramic Boost for added gloss.
    For interior cleaning, we recommend using XPEL Interior Cleaner (as needed) on your leather, plastics, and non-fabric surfaces. For fabric areas, we recommend vacuuming and using a clean, dry microfiber. We recommend testing in an inconspicuous area before applying XPEL Interior Cleaner – please read directions before applying.
    Drying

Always dry the exterior surfaces completely using a clean, soft, lint free microfiber towel or air blower. Never allow water to evaporate on its own. Tap water can contain minerals which leave deposits on your coating, creating unwanted water spots.
    For best results use XPEL Microfiber Towels, which have been designed to absorb water. Always avoid aggressive wiping.
    Detailing

For exterior surfaces, follow washing and drying steps above. Follow up with XPEL Detail Spray for any left- over fingerprints or smudges on your paint protection film or surface. You can apply the XPEL Ceramic Boost (as needed) for added shine and slickness.
    Avoid applying XPEL Detail Spray or XPEL Ceramic Boost in direct sunlight, to minimize streaking and water spotting.

Basically its a lot of care to keep it looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by driveintim View Post
    FUSION PLUS ™ Ceramic Coatings

Aftercare

Using XPEL aftercare products when detailing your various surfaces will significantly extend the life of FUSION PLUS. Our products have been designed to complement our coatings and will help keep your surface looking newer, longer.
    Cleaning

For exterior cleaning, we recommend using XPEL Rinse Free Car Wash on a weekly basis, to avoid excessive contamination buildup. Avoid washing in direct sunlight to minimize streaking and water spotting.
    Wash from the roof downwards, leaving the dirtiest sections last, avoiding possible cross-contamination. You can follow up with XPEL Detail Spray and XPEL Ceramic Boost for added gloss.
    For interior cleaning, we recommend using XPEL Interior Cleaner (as needed) on your leather, plastics, and non-fabric surfaces. For fabric areas, we recommend vacuuming and using a clean, dry microfiber. We recommend testing in an inconspicuous area before applying XPEL Interior Cleaner – please read directions before applying.
    Drying

Always dry the exterior surfaces completely using a clean, soft, lint free microfiber towel or air blower. Never allow water to evaporate on its own. Tap water can contain minerals which leave deposits on your coating, creating unwanted water spots.
    For best results use XPEL Microfiber Towels, which have been designed to absorb water. Always avoid aggressive wiping.
    Detailing

For exterior surfaces, follow washing and drying steps above. Follow up with XPEL Detail Spray for any left- over fingerprints or smudges on your paint protection film or surface. You can apply the XPEL Ceramic Boost (as needed) for added shine and slickness.
    Avoid applying XPEL Detail Spray or XPEL Ceramic Boost in direct sunlight, to minimize streaking and water spotting.

Basically its a lot of care to keep it looking good.
    I'm sorry, but when I read that, it sounds like the same kind of care you do to any car. I thought it was supposed to avoid all that. I mean, you paint the car to protect the metal. You clear coat the car to protect the paint. You ceramic coat the car to protect the clear coat. You wax the car to protect the ceramic coat. You blow dry the car to protect the wax.

I think I will just get a car with stainless steel skin and forget all that. Lol.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

I'm sorry, but when I read that, it sounds like the same kind of care you do to any car. I thought it was supposed to avoid all that. I mean, you paint the car to protect the metal. You clear coat the car to protect the paint. You ceramic coat the car to protect the clear coat. You wax the car to protect the ceramic coat. You blow dry the car to protect the wax.

I think I will just get a car with stainless steel skin and forget all that. Lol.
    absolutely right ! Lol

However, I did my everyday driver with that ceramic fusion and founded the result very impressive. Even after one complete year, and through one hard winter, the water just slip away from the paint. One should see the pattern from above the car after a heavy rain. Quite impressive. Around $300 for a small bottle. Good for 2 applications of a complete car I think.

Would not use it on stainless. I would like to found that Rock it product that Michael talk about, but it doesn’t seems available at my homedepot in Canada...
    Last edited by Victor; 04-25-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast