FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ceramic coating

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I have also used a "ceramic" coating on my DD and am very pleased with the results. Not only would I not use on a Delorean, it is not necessary. There is no paint to protect. While the coating itself is expensive (a tiny bottle of it and prep is over $100) the big part of the expense is all the time/labor for the paint correction and prep necessary to do a good job. Properly done the results are spectacular, it lasts a long time and is very easy to keep clean (and it stays clean so much longer). It might be useful to use it on the front and rear facia but I haven't done it. Because of the limited use, a good wax is sufficient.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So I guess we're all smarter now.
    You have contributed nothing to this thread. I suggest you just read some threads instead of having to comment on everything.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You have contributed nothing to this thread. I suggest you just read some threads instead of having to comment on everything.
    Well if someone knew the definition of ceramic (like me), they would know that it must be "fired on". I found it hard to believe that they are firing a car. (Except for headers) In fact, was right. It is a scam as far as the name goes. Now many people say that it is a benifit and that's great. But it's just a fancy car wax. Calling it ceramic is misleading.

As far as adding to the thread, the only thing you contributed was animosity. It doesn't matter to me because I'm not a child. But there are people that go on these forums that lurk and never post because they think you will start picking on them. The end result is less traffic on the forum. You may not understand that traffic is what keeps a forum going. If you want to bicker, why don't you do it on Facebook.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Ceramic in this context is nothing more than a marketing term. It is NOT a ceramic coating by the true definition of ceramic as you point out. The use of the word in this context is meant to convey the high durability and hardness of the coating and differentiate it from a wax coating which is much softer and wears off faster. It is actually much more like crazy glue than wax.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10309

I think there are too many versions of "ceramic coating" being thrown around. I used a ceramic coating spray on top of my waxed cars and it is simply the best thing I've ever seen. It sheds water like a duck and usually nothing remains so the paint remains as it was. It adds dramatically to the shine of the car. I bought one 10 oz. bottle and using it as directed I did 4 cars and an F150 and still have some left. I did use it on the Delorean and it adds to the depth of the grain. Repels idiot fingerprints and looks like a show car. You can also use it on glass to keep water spots from forming. It's about $60 a bottle online from detailing product shops.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    I think there are too many versions of "ceramic coating" being thrown around. I used a ceramic coating spray on top of my waxed cars and it is simply the best thing I've ever seen. It sheds water like a duck and usually nothing remains so the paint remains as it was. It adds dramatically to the shine of the car. I bought one 10 oz. bottle and using it as directed I did 4 cars and an F150 and still have some left. I did use it on the Delorean and it adds to the depth of the grain. Repels idiot fingerprints and looks like a show car. You can also use it on glass to keep water spots from forming. It's about $60 a bottle online from detailing product shops.
    I did use it on my Delorean windshield which is scratched from the PO using broken wipers and it is somewhat better. It act as rainx more or less.
    After having read your post, I am tempted to try it on the body as well. Except that my graining is far from perfect, so I’m afraid it will magnify that imperfect graining...
    Thank you for your post.

My VIN:    05141

I did mean the ceramic coating for paintwork. I also applied that myself on my DD. 6 months later the cars paintwork still feels like new.
    It repells dirt and water. It will wear off by itself after a year or so depending on wear and tear and washes. (Carwash will accelerate it)

I was thinking this coat woud keep the SS nice and shiny and easy to remove fingerprints.

So I understand to my surprise no one has done that before.

I have some leftover, I will apply that on the bottom part of the rear fender below the strip and see how it holds up. I will blend that first to have a clean surface. I doubt it will do ant bad.

I’ll keep you updated.

John

Steering with power

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2