FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement fuel gauge?

My VIN:    10207

Question Replacement fuel gauge?

Hi guys,

I've replaced my fuel gauge with a new one, because the old one didn't register the first 10L of gas I put in the car, and would move irregularly up and down in a way with some relation to fuel consumption, but not remotely precisely. It was normal operation procedure to run the car for 50-100km before any fuel consumption was visible on the gauge, then the needle would drop to 3/4 tank. After af few hundred kilometers more, it would drop down to 1/2 again and then sometime back up to 3/4 without refuelling (magic!).

Anyways, I assumed the gauge was faulty so I changed it out, when I was replacing the fuel pump.

But I get the same result. (?)
    Both the old and the new fuel gauge is the delorean.eu type.

So I guess my question is: What is the best available fuel gauge?
    Is anything available that will more precisely detect 1) all the fuel in the tank and not ignore the first 10 L and 2) fuel consumption in a more gradual manner than jumping between full quarters of a tank?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    03572

You should pull your fuel sender and manually move the float to see if you have any dead spots. You may just need to clean the resistance wire on the sender.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You should pull your fuel sender and manually move the float to see if you have any dead spots. You may just need to clean the resistance wire on the sender.
    Dead spots? Places where the plunger sticks?
    What if I find any? WD-40?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Dead spots? Places where the plunger sticks?
    What if I find any? WD-40?
    Carfully clean the silver wire with a scotch brite pad.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Hi guys,

I've replaced my fuel gauge with a new one, because the old one didn't register the first 10L of gas I put in the car, and would move irregularly up and down in a way with some relation to fuel consumption, but not remotely precisely. It was normal operation procedure to run the car for 50-100km before any fuel consumption was visible on the gauge, then the needle would drop to 3/4 tank. After af few hundred kilometers more, it would drop down to 1/2 again and then sometime back up to 3/4 without refuelling (magic!).

Anyways, I assumed the gauge was faulty so I changed it out, when I was replacing the fuel pump.

But I get the same result. (?)
    Both the old and the new fuel gauge is the delorean.eu type.

So I guess my question is: What is the best available fuel gauge?
    Is anything available that will more precisely detect 1) all the fuel in the tank and not ignore the first 10 L and 2) fuel consumption in a more gradual manner than jumping between full quarters of a tank?
    The gauge hardly ever fails. The sending unit is usually the problem. If you search on here you’ll find instructions for how to determine which is faulty: gauge or sending unit.

My VIN:    16409

It sounds like the needle is moving as the fuel sloshes around in the fuel tank. I would take the sender out and plug both of the holes in the bottom. Use a couple screws and only put them in half way. This will allow gas to slowly escape from the tube. The needle should read more steadily.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Most fuel gauges act as you describe, not moving for a long time when full and then moving in a non-linear amount. The OEM gauge is the most accurate but not the most reliable.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    It sounds like the needle is moving as the fuel sloshes around in the fuel tank. I would take the sender out and plug both of the holes in the bottom. Use a couple screws and only put them in half way. This will allow gas to slowly escape from the tube. The needle should read more steadily.
    This is the one that came off the car:
    DSC_0312.jpg

Those holes had screws in them, I suppose that is the screws you are talking about?

I don't think the new fuel sender has those holes. (It must have something for the gas to go inside...?)

I get your point, the gas needs to be able to go in at the bottom of the sender and air must be able to flow out at the top, I suppose?
    But not too fast or the gauge will be very sensitive to bumps, curves, inclines, acceleration, etc.
    Last edited by DrWin; 04-29-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Picture x2

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Carfully clean the silver wire with a scotch brite pad.
    Roger - is that what the big screw at the bottom does, disassemble the sender?

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    The gauge hardly ever fails. The sending unit is usually the problem. If you search on here you’ll find instructions for how to determine which is faulty: gauge or sending unit.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast