FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What should a newbie ABSOLUTELY know?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Welcome and congratulations eh?

Lots of good advice here. I'll add 2 more:

1) Ensure you have an emergency towing service that guarantees a flatbed tow with soft straps.

2) Add the phone number to your phone contacts.

Just in case.

Enjoy.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Markclearview View Post
    Hey everyone! Mark here.
    Well, I did it. Lifelong dream achieved in the form of vin 17058.
    Toronto, Canada. According to Justin at Wells Auto, the first Canadian spec car ever made.

As I wait the gruelling month for the car to be delivered, I want to make sure I am properly prepared!
    I'm really grateful that there is such a committed community to helping out the newcomers like myself! A few questions to start:

Where does one source a fitted DeLorean car cover?
    What have folks done about floor mats? Feelings?
    A must have product for cleaning?

And finally: what should a new owner absolutely be prepared for?

Thanks new friends!
    DeLorean parts and accessories:

DeLorean.com
    DeLoreanGo.com
    DeLoreanIndustries.com
    PJGrady.com
    DeLorean-parts.com

For a fitted car cover, DeLorean.com.

For floor mats:
    Fancy, thick, looks great, good for car shows: DeLorean.com or DeLoreanGo.com
    Cheap but work great and useful for daily driving: dashdesigns.com

Cleaning:
    Zep Heavy duty citrus degreaser or Weiman stainless steel cleaner. Note that with the Zep product you’ll have to use a damp sponge to remove the cleaner (or hose it off). Weiman works great but leaves an oily film which attracts dust and pollen like crazy.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For more information you can search this forum or you can buy James Espey's book at DMCH. For your initial order you might want to get some filters too and maybe the manuals. Depends on what comes with the car and how much work you can do yourself on the car. Whenever I buy an old, used car one of the first things I do is change all of the fluids and filters. That way I know exactly what is in the car and how old it is. Check the date codes on the tires and battery.
    David Teitelbaum

One thing I would mention is true for all vehicals. You should carry one spare belt of every belt on the car. Your alternator could get eaten right in front of a auto parts store, but if they don't happen to stock it, your stuck.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Truth! It's so bad around here. They have almost taken the fun out of ownership.

Here's what driving on the interstate can get you. Guy claimed he had a seizure. I say he was fumbling for his phone.

Not trying to derail the thread, just looking for one quick answer. Did that car get hit? Or was it only very close....
    It looked for sure like they did, and I thought they were gonna stop to inspect, but then they kept driving.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Yeah they hit and they stopped.

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Yay! Congratulations and welcome! I bought my second DeLorean from Justin last September. He's a great guy, so you'll be getting a great car. Lots of great people here and more advice than you can shake a stick at. If you need to do anything on the car, you can usually find out how easily enough.

My advice is to not be scared to try any repair yourself. It is enjoyable and rewarding to get to know your car and do the work yourself, no matter how small the job may be. There are tons of owners that can do all sorts of crazy repairs and upgrades, (I am not one of those) but new owners have to start out somewhere.

Enjoy all the exciting/crazy encounters you'll find yourself in. Even a trip to the gas station can become a spectacle. Just remember, it may be someone's 1st ever in person encounter with the car! Can't wait to see some pics! Congrats again!

My VIN:    17058

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    Yay! Congratulations and welcome! I bought my second DeLorean from Justin last September. He's a great guy, so you'll be getting a great car. Lots of great people here and more advice than you can shake a stick at. If you need to do anything on the car, you can usually find out how easily enough.

My advice is to not be scared to try any repair yourself. It is enjoyable and rewarding to get to know your car and do the work yourself, no matter how small the job may be. There are tons of owners that can do all sorts of crazy repairs and upgrades, (I am not one of those) but new owners have to start out somewhere.

Enjoy all the exciting/crazy encounters you'll find yourself in. Even a trip to the gas station can become a spectacle. Just remember, it may be someone's 1st ever in person encounter with the car! Can't wait to see some pics! Congrats again!

Thanks Kukem! Yes, definitely excited to get my beak wet on some repair work (as I'm certain will pop up) hopefully Justin or some friendly guys like you can bail me out.

Many photos to come. Expected delivery date is May 14th so we're getting close. Expect a big introduction post to the car.

More to come!

My VIN:    17058

Club(s):   (DOI)

The car came

Ok, the car has arrived and I'm freaking out.
    83', black interior, automatic, Canadian spec. Purchased from Justin at Wells Auto Milton. Who is just the absolute best.

Car runs and drives great. Aesthetically pristine. Here she is.
    Arrived three days ago.

More detailed ext/int photos to come.

Still in shock.PXL_20210516_192640621.MP.jpgPXL_20210516_002858556.MP.jpgPXL_20210514_203807587.MP.jpgPXL_20210514_015903475.NIGHT.jpg
    --
    Vin 17058
    Comedian & Magician
    www.markclearview.com
    Toronto/NYC

Congrats!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast