FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Battery Cutoff

Remote Battery Cutoff

Hey guys - Any if you ever used a remote battery cutoff?
    Any reason to go with a manual cut off switch vs remote?

Thanks

My VIN:    03572

I designed my remote battery cut off a long time ago. It's nice to not have a switch mounted to the battery cover and easy to reach and place the push button to operate while sitting in the drivers seat. Mine is smart which is also hooked up to the crash sensor. If that sensor opens then my unit cuts the engine off and one second later cuts the battery off. It always does that engine kill also in case you forget and kill it with the engine running.

I only use the cutoff when I'm playing with electrical (which is often). I've reduced standby load so no need to keep the battery off when parked.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 10-27-2021 at 05:12 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I have a remote cutoff and really like the convenience. I fabricated a simple bracket that mounts the latching cutoff relay on the battery. No drilling holes or modification of the battery compartment required. Battery with latching relay fits nicely into the battery compartment. The switch to operate the cutout relay is on a piece of aluminum angle mounted just above the hood release.

My car is an 83 and does not have a digital console clock. The radio display serves as the clock and uses a small about of battery to keep the clock alive. I measured 15 mA of current load for the radio clock when the car is turned off. A typical car battery averages about 50 Amp Hours. It would take about 5 months to deplete the battery. Likely an older battery would not have enough power to start the car after 4 months.

The remote cutoff is convenient so I just disconnect the battery after I park the car. I also disconnect the battery when I'm at an all day car show and have the doors open. In either case, it's reassuring to know that when I reconnect the battery it will not be depleted. Whether coincidence or not, it seems that my battery has lasted much longer when it is disconnected while the car is setting in the garage. With the remote disconnect, it's a simple click of the switch after shutting down the engine.

Ron

P1272526.jpgP2252712.jpgP3072730.jpg

I did a design change to the OEM clock which dropped the standby current a lot. That was posted on the old DMCtalk so not sure if that info exits anymore.

You can run a fused battery wire to power your radio and clock if you wish running before the cutoff relay or switch.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10855

I'd be a bit worried about switching off the battery supply if the inertia switch triggers. If your in that situation at night you'll be at the mercy of passing traffic to see you as all your lighting would be out.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

I have one of these on each of the toy cars and put one on my X5 when it began to lose its mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZZXY7Y/

The oldest one has been in place for a little over two years and I haven't even had to change the battery yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Acmetowers View Post
    I'd be a bit worried about switching off the battery supply if the inertia switch triggers. If your in that situation at night you'll be at the mercy of passing traffic to see you as all your lighting would be out.

Well reduce the chance of a fire or risk not being seen after an accident.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I have one of these on each of the toy cars and put one on my X5 when it began to lose its mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZZXY7Y/

The oldest one has been in place for a little over two years and I haven't even had to change the battery yet.
    8.5 ma load is not to bad but still why would you want a remote to shut off the battery.
    Dave M vin 03572

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Many years ago I installed an automatic battery cutoff, which activated when it detected a sustained discharge. It had a manual reset, and was mounted on the battery. All was well until one day when I was participating in a club event, in a local parade where we all idled along with doors open and lights flashing. All of a sudden my car went dead. While rolling downhill I had to get my passenger to move forward, open the battery compartment, and reset it. The car is long gone but I think I still have that switch if anyone wants it....
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    10855

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Well reduce the chance of a fire or risk not being seen after an accident.
    Chances of a fire after an accident is very small (unless you believe Hollywood) and as you know inertia switches can be set off due to pot holes. I feel that if you modify the car so that systems like the hazard warning lights do not function as intended i.e. to warn other drivers, I could see you being at fault for a third party hitting you with the worst case of an invalid insurance due to the modification causing the crash $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast