FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cigarette lighter

My VIN:    3937

I have the GoWesty one too and I don't remember if this was something I noticed on the original or the replacement, but if you rotated the outer ring and kept the inner cylinder fixed, it would lose the power connection. Again, not remembering all the details, but that sleeve fit idea means it can rotate itself out of contact. I'd have to try and play with my own lighter a little to see how that went again. Might be something else to try if all else fails.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I have the GoWesty one too and I don't remember if this was something I noticed on the original or the replacement, but if you rotated the outer ring and kept the inner cylinder fixed, it would lose the power connection. Again, not remembering all the details, but that sleeve fit idea means it can rotate itself out of contact. I'd have to try and play with my own lighter a little to see how that went again. Might be something else to try if all else fails.
    The original will do this, and something more insidious, it will blow the fuse if turned a certain way. Not sure about the replacement. I've installed a few of the modern ones, and do note that they are much tighter (harder to turn) probably because they are 40 years newer.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You will want to replace the lighter if you plan to use it to power or charge anything. The OEM lighter was not a standard size.
    So the problem with the Delorean lighter is it's socket is not deep enough? Will the Delorean lightergo in a standard socket?

I just checked and my lighter doesn't work. Went to poke test lead down it and found that there's nothing hooked to the socket. Lol. I do want to power other stuff, so I guess I will order one.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The lighter socket is a "European" style, ie, it is a very shallow type socket. Over the years people have tried to use lights and other things plugged into the socket and many of them do not fit properly. Either they keep falling out or they blow the fuse. Many have added another power socket somewhere else. If you try to replace the socket you don't have much room so it must be a very short one or the console won't fit right. These days most of the time people want to add USB power ports. The original lighter socket does have that nifty (quirky) light ring. Same bulb that goes into the light switches, hard to get. The Delorean vendors have them.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So the problem with the Delorean lighter is it's socket is not deep enough? Will the Delorean lightergo in a standard socket?

I just checked and my lighter doesn't work. Went to poke test lead down it and found that there's nothing hooked to the socket. Lol. I do want to power other stuff, so I guess I will order one.
    I don't think the problem with OEM socket is not deep enough but it had a larger diameter and the current power plugs don't hold very well.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't think the problem with OEM socket is not deep enough but it had a larger diameter and the current power plugs don't hold very well.
    I believe Dave to be correct. Some Chinese made plugs have a metal retaining ring that holds the halfs together at the end so the ability for it to short out is high because it's not tight. I found this out the hard way. Blowing lots of fuses and wondering why. 🙄

Dave B.

My VIN:    16409

I have ditched the idea of plugging anything into the cigar port. What most people need these days is USB power. So i just disconnected the cigar lighter and left in place for aesthetic purposes. I found a USB power converter box that plugs into the cigar lighter wiring. You get a USB socket to plug in your devices to charge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402022108251

You can hide the box under the center console and it makes for a clean stock looking install. Additionally there is nothing that get in the way of shifting as there is not some unsightly plug coming out of the cigar lighter. I hooked my defrost switch up to the converter so I can turn it on and off.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I have ditched the idea of plugging anything into the cigar port. What most people need these days is USB power. So i just disconnected the cigar lighter and left in place for aesthetic purposes. I found a USB power converter box that plugs into the cigar lighter wiring. You get a USB socket to plug in your devices to charge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402022108251

You can hide the box under the center console and it makes for a clean stock looking install. Additionally there is nothing that get in the way of shifting as there is not some unsightly plug coming out of the cigar lighter. I hooked my defrost switch up to the converter so I can turn it on and off.
    You can plug a adapter in a cigarette lighter for a USB, but I don't know of an adapter from USB to cigarette for GPS or radar detector.

My VIN:    10207

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's pretty cool to know. I'm 100% certain that I have fiddled with it. Certainly possible that I may have rotated it. Will check tomorrow.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    10207

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That or the purple wire has a bad connection at the lighter.
    It's not supplying the amperage needed. So, from here:
    • Pull fuse 17.
    • In its receptacle, one side will have power. Put Battery (+) on the other side.
    • If the lighter works, there is something wrong with the power to the purple wire. Probably a bad connection at the fuse -- Otherwise, there is something wrong with the power from the Brown wire feeding the fuse.
    • If the lighter does not work, suspect the Purple wire's connection at the lighter.
    So, I'm looking at this again. When I pull fuse 17 I notice two strange things.
    First: When i connect Battery (+) to the unpowered connector in the fuse box, where 17 was removed from, with a test light, it lights up dimly and briefly, and fades to nothing in less than a second. When I connect Battery (-) to the powered connector in the fuse box, where 17 was removed from, with a test light it lights up normaly and stays on.
    Second: When I put the fuse back in, it briefly lights up (as indicative of a blown fuse) but turns off again same as test light.

Actually there is now a third thing: I tried cleaning up the fuse and the fuseblock connectors, put the fuse back in and tried activating the cigarette lighter. Lots of loud clicking noices from the relay compartment and a blown fuse 17...

What is this telling us? That the cigarette lighter itself is shorted?

Edit:
    And why can I get the testlight to light up even if fuse 17 is lit up (blown?)
    DSC_0326.jpg

And use the radio?

And why does the cooling fan turns on when I pull out the lit up fuse 17?
    Oh my, I think I have something of a major issue with the electrical system.
    Last edited by DrWin; 05-14-2021 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Picture
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast