FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deloreans are still like frying bacon w/o a shirt. No issue record is over.

My VIN:    1597

Heading out the door but the bat cut off was removed for that reason. Over time "6 years old" the red top's drain over night got worse and worse but I have kept it going by trickle charging. Going to have it tested and or replaced asap.

I have never previously pulled or disconnected the inertia sw until days ago AFTER the car turned off and will not start. I pulled up the plunger thingie and pressed it back in. No luck so I then pulled it off, checked the connectors "good" and stuck it back in.

I cannot recall when the issue went from turning over and assuming no fuel because a hit of str fluid brought it to life to also losing the starter but I "assume" it was when I did a full car ground/ wire check.
    Also, I cannot imagine wires falling off as in the picture but I have seen stranger things. Again, IIRC the right side as in the pic "drivers" breaker has 3 wires most striped and the left has only one.

Back later. I might be the one going in for repairs instead of my car so fingers crossed.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

I am back.
    Seems a almost 30 year old kinetic injury has came back to haunt me requiring what amounts to a borescope ran in my wrist, up my arm and into my heart.
    This is the 3rd time.
    I would rather replace 6 Delorean window motors, answer 300 non stop questions asking "You gotta flux capacitor?, and dump chili into the valley of death and spoon eat it.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You have the odd early wiring...
    Put the loose Black with Red stripe wire on either of the top two terminals of the left breaker.
    Put the loose solid Brown wire on the empty terminal on the top of the right breaker.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You have the odd early wiring...
    Put the loose Black with Red stripe wire on either of the top two terminals of the left breaker.
    Put the loose solid Brown wire on the empty terminal on the top of the right breaker.
    Hmmm - Ron - we might have to do an intervention . . Columbia isn't all that unreasonably far from North GA or Greenville. . . . . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I learned to NEVER say "I found the problem" but I think we found the problem.

After sorting the wires in the picture we moved up the chain up to the =- terminals into the fuel pump. Nothing..... But then as my flashlight rolled into the wires the fuel pump came ALIVE.

The -= wires go a few inches and are crimped. I don't like crimped but yesterday I squeezed them hard and they felt solid. I suspect a cold solder, crap wire.

That would also explain the "bucking" I was sometimes getting when I really got on the gas from a dead stop. Just the movement was cause to pump to turn off for a micro second.

Tomorrow going to redo the crimps, replace the wires and get a new Optima battery.

I need a red led light that died on my pass side door facing the rear.

At any rate, you guys, this forum are invaluable to us. Once sorted and I ready to put a good bit into the car. Considering new exhaust, ac overhaul, brakes, clutch the works and just overall go through the car and make everything right. Brakes, clutch...... Jim

Dave......You moving to SC? Let me know when and I would like to meet you in person. Here is a recent pic. I need to get some sun and build up my cardio.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 05-06-2021 at 11:49 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post

Dave......You moving to SC? Let me know when and I would like to meet you in person.
    Closed today on the house in Illinois. Closing in SC on May 14. It will take a while to get settled in. I have one problem to deal with, we're downsizing considerably and I don't think the new neighbors would appreciate a twin-post lift in the middle of the driveway.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I live on Lake Murray Irmo not far off the interstate. I think there is a new Delorean owner nearby as I seem to told by people they saw me in a dozen places.
    Greenville has great weather. My parents are as we speak up at the Biltmore Estate. You must visit it at least once. Magical place. Largest home in the US and former Vanderbilt owned iirc.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Closed today on the house in Illinois. Closing in SC on May 14. It will take a while to get settled in. I have one problem to deal with, we're downsizing considerably and I don't think the new neighbors would appreciate a twin-post lift in the middle of the driveway.
    New neighbors don't appreciate many of the things I do, but they do learn to accept them.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

I have played guitar since a teen and survived the 80s hair band era.

Even now at 56, when I play music the neighbors listen also. They must like it because one threw a brick through my window so he could hear it better.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Hmmm - Ron - we might have to do an intervention . . Columbia isn't all that unreasonably far from North GA or Greenville. . . . . .
    Hehe, he almost had me talked into it. I made the trip once before years ago (wife and I...had a blast. It was so hot that Jim didn't need a stove to cook the bacon.) But I think we got everything working (including the blower) by connecting the (odd) wiring as above, except for the pump. He seems to have found the problem from his last post...but you never know!

P.S. Hats off...!

==========

Jim, if you haven't already, check that the terminals/blades aren't loose on the pump...Some have weak rivets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast