FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Deloreans are still like frying bacon w/o a shirt. No issue record is over.

My VIN:    1597

Update
    After a 3 hr chasing down wires and isolating power we got to the pump itself. From my extensive records it shows I replaced it 8 years ago and was one of John's later pumps. It has always had 2 wires pos/neg with eyelets which run to crimps and then on under the spare tire area. They have never been a issue and giving them a tug felt secure. Well when I put a specific lateral twist to one wire at the pump sprang to life. Release the pressure and pump dies.
    I cut out the crimp and temp twisted the wires together and the car started first turn.
    So now I am back to the 1/2 dozen things on my need to do list but she is running and as we know nothing is worse than a old car sitting.

So to add to my list of Delorean wisdom learned the hard way....

Clean your grounds. All 344 thousand, two hundred and seventy eight of them.
    If it ain't broke don't mess with it.
    Do things one at a time and check for changes before moving on.
    And the latest addition. Get rid of CRIMPS as soon as you can.
    I don't care how hard you crimp and have stories about how long yours has worked, you are one pothole away from trouble. At a minimum, twist wires, solder and put on twist on connector.
    Be especially tidy and don't skimp on the ballast. Basically ANY wire that if the connection comes loose will cause the engine to stop needs to be well done. I recall a older issue where my car would not start and I threw money at it only to later see that the brown wire on the rpm relay had push out the back when I plugged it in after cleaning.

Now on to a master c replacement, fluid and brake bleed. I cannot do this on my own now.
    A/C recharge and a issue I thought was due to the fuel pump wire. 1-2ND gear under heavy acceleration the car bucks. Not every time and I really have to bury the pedal.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I agree wholeheartedly about not trusting the crimped type connectors, especially if they are subject to weather. They are subject to corrosion. The only ones I have seen that are better are wirenuts with silicone goo but they are a NONO for automotive applications. I like solder and heat-shrink tubing but it is a fiddly job and takes a bit of time but it is the only way to insure a permanent repair.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    I live on Lake Murray Irmo not far off the interstate. I think there is a new Delorean owner nearby as I seem to told by people they saw me in a dozen places.
    I think that guy has been around for a few years. Every time I had mine out at Tobacco Merchant or British Bulldog, I kept hearing about another one owned by a doctor/dentist in the Ascot subdivision. Never met the guy though. I know I've seen one with dark wheels, that you weren't driving, pedaling around Harbison a few times over the years. A few weeks back there was a dark wheeled one up at Pro Auto on Bush River Rd getting an alignment. I assumed it wasn't yours because I thought you were out on the Lexington side of the lake.

My VIN:    1597

If you cross the dam towards Irmo and take a left I am just up that road. I have a early Delorean with dark wheels and 1-2x a week will drive it across the dam and back. When the temps everyday hover in the 90s I rarely drive it. The car loves the cold but summertime and heat brings out all it's issues. Right now I am trying to find how to recharge the a/c which I have done but forget.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4