FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Installing Electric power steering without a working speedometer

My VIN:    4978

Installing Electric power steering without a working speedometer

So i'm about to take on the project of installing Dgo's power steering unit. I'm reading in the paperwork that the steering adjusts power based upon speed. My speedometer is broken, but not only that, but when it was working, someone changed it out, for one that goes up to 140 MPH. so it's not a stock one anyway. How is this going to effect how my power steering works when I put it in?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Did you email them to ask?
    It is a large purchase they should be able to provide support.

I believe the speed pulse generator replaces the lambda counter. So you must have a working angle drive and lower speedometer cable.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4978

I think the lower angle drive is why my speedometer took a crap. Least on my first one, that's why it would bind and break all the time.

the angle drive is a very high failure item. The reproductions are very poor quality on a design that is not that great to start out with. Rebuild original angle drives seem to give the most success.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

While I'm intrigued by electric power steering, the Delorean is one of the few cars that I wouldn't consider it. Even with the car stopped, it's easy to turn the wheels. But to each his own.

If you want to trade your speedometer for a stock one, that can be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    While I'm intrigued by electric power steering, the Delorean is one of the few cars that I wouldn't consider it. Even with the car stopped, it's easy to turn the wheels. But to each his own.

If you want to trade your speedometer for a stock one, that can be arranged.
    the speedometer itself has nothing to do with this.

I have EPS on my car, I made it with parts from a nissan versa. It really transforms how the car drives. Less vibration in the wheel at speed as well. Makes parking lot maneuvers effortless.

It seems when people bring up PS it results in insults of strength. This is hardly the point.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

I have EPS on my car, I made it with parts from a nissan versa. It really transforms how the car drives. Less vibration in the wheel at speed as well. Makes parking lot maneuvers effortless.

It seems when people bring up PS it results in insults of strength. This is hardly the point.
    I believe it trans forms how the car drives, just not in a good way. Normally, the complaint of power steering is it removes the "feel of the road" or feedback. Of course, with many vehicals, it's required because they are too hard to steer at slow speed. In the case of a Rear engine Delorean, slow speed operation is not really an isssue. I have a VW Beetle that is a joy to drive because of no power steering and rear engine. Now I have sexy, more powerful version with that same feel.

I also have a C7 with triple the power and power steering, but it can't compare with the feel of the Big D!

But I guess, differnt strokes for different folks.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Sorry to intrude the thread, but does the versa EPS dampen the dangerous, touchy feel of the DeLorean at higher speeds?

Can’t use the vendors power steering as a speedo cable doesn’t exist anymore on my car...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Sorry to intrude the thread, but does the versa EPS dampen the dangerous, touchy feel of the DeLorean at higher speeds?

Can’t use the vendors power steering as a speedo cable doesn’t exist anymore on my car...
    When it is in "failsafe" mode like I have it it operates at something like 60% assist all the time.
    I found this to be too much at highway speeds. I took the reverse lockout solenoid output on my ecu and set it to 70kmh. So it shuts the power steering off above that speed and turns it on below.
    Ideally I would reverse engineer the CAN input and have it fade out over a certain speed range and even at 0% assist the control unit would still be on. Having the unit turn on and off can be somewhat harsh if you are taking a high speed corner. I set it at 70 as it is a middle ground between city and highway driving. When it was full assist at highway speeds it was very twitchy. I did not like it at all. Even with it off at highway speed the extra resistance of the motor smooths out any vibration I once had in the steering.

I cannot complain too much It was about $80 in parts and a weekend of work.
    Not as polished as the vendor offerings but they are much, much more money.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

If you don't like the touchy feel, have you considered a steering damper? They are more in use in the 4wheel drive world, but basically it's a shock on your steering. You can't move it fast (or the wheels can't move it fast when you hit a bump) but you can still turn the wheel. It would be an easy install.

The other possibility would be a slower ratio steering. You would have more power at slow speeds and less touchy feel at high speeds. I'm just Not sure about the availability for our car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast