FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ticking from front drivers wheel (i think)

Ticking from front drivers wheel (i think)

I recently started getting a ticking noise coming from what I believe to be the front drivers side wheel. It ticks in tandem with the wheel speed and after a while of driving (about 30mins+) it sometimes also turns to a squeak. It goes away when I brake (even lightly), but does not go away if I use the handbrake to slow down (so definitely seems to be front).

I took the wheel off and rotated the hub to see if I could reproduce the noise, and thought I had found my smoking gun when I saw one of the pads moving up and down inside the calliper as it rode on the groves of the disc. As the discs were also a bit warped (judder when braking) I opted to replace everything. I installed:

New discs
    New Pads
    New sliding pins
    New spring wire things
    New anti squeal shims on the back of the pads
    All with the correct lubricants smeared on each part.

I then put everything back together and took the car for a test drive....the noise was still there.

When I performed the brake job on the passenger side, I noticed that the pads were a lot tighter in the calliper, whereas on the driver side they were still quite loose. So I got some 0.9mm aluminium, cut it to size and used it as a shim to prevent the pads from moving up and down inside the calliper.

However...on testing the noise was STILL there.

I have since also disconnected the angle drive speedo to rule that out, and checked for play in the wheel bearing. It all seems fine.

What am I missing? This is driving me bonkers. The noise doesn't manifest until after about 5 minutes of driving either, so any fixes I attempt can't be immediately verified.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Have you checked your front tires for any nail or screw puncture of jammed peable, or something…in the tread?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Have you checked your front tires for any nail or screw puncture of jammed peable, or something…in the tread?
    TBh I haven't, but that doesn't really fit with the the noise going away when I lightly press the brakes?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

do you have the anti rattle springs on the brake pads and/or the shims behind the brake pads?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    do you have the anti rattle springs on the brake pads and/or the shims behind the brake pads?
    Incidentally, my car squealed even though it had shims; but I got newer, different style ones from DeloreanGo and that appeared to solve it.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Sometimes the angle drive will make this noise. Take the plastic cap off the center of the left front brake rotor (axle). This will stop driving the speedometer. See if the noise goes away.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have both - the kit that dgo sells

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Sometimes the angle drive will make this noise. Take the plastic cap off the center of the left front brake rotor (axle). This will stop driving the speedometer. See if the noise goes away.
    I removed the angle drive entirely to test if it was that. My angle drive was just zip tied into place and was really easy to remove. I thought that may have been the noise, but nope

Jim,
    Is there any scoring on the inside rim of the wheel, an indication of something touching?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Jim,
    Is there any scoring on the inside rim of the wheel, an indication of something touching?

Ron
    I haven’t checked the rim tbh, but I will have a look. I did check the dust shield and didn’t see any scoring on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast