FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hood catch

Hood catch

So my hood catch was gone and the T-handle was hidden behind the speaker cover. I got the T-handle out and tested its operation. (Works) I ordered a new catch and nut fromDMC. I don't understand how it attaches. Is the nut supposed be epoxied in the cover? Is the cover supposed to have threads in it and the nut is a lock nut? Obviously, my cover has no threads. Probably someone ripped the cover open. How should it be? Has anybody fixed my situation? I was wondering if it should have a U-bolt design there similar to the louvre latch.

My VIN:    3937

Clean up your terminology first.

The hood is up front (aka luggage compartment cover) Luggage compartment = trunk (or frunk since it's up front). The hood release cable and bracket are under the driver's footwell.

The louvres are in the rear above the lower engine cover. The louvres don't really lock or clasp onto anything. It's just a simple clip that you depress with your finger and then lift it up. The lower engine cover though is locked and gets released by pulling on the handle located behind the driver's seat, just in behind about where the rear speaker is along that back wall. That cable connects to the release handle assembly on one end and the other end connects to a spring loaded mechanism mounted right in the rear fascia. It is this mechanism that grabs the U-bult type hook that is threaded into the underside of the lower engine cover.

The parts diagrams are here: https://store.delorean.com/parts/fra...ine-cover.html

Now, having said that, what's your problem?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Now, having said that, what's your problem?
    Ah, give the guy a break-
    Rumor has it that, while looking at the Hood Seal (100539), someone slammed the the Bonnet (109096) down on his head. And when he came to, he noticed the Louvers (100594) had been raised. After stumbling to the rear, he realized what the culprit was after -- Only the Lower Engine Cover (100593) was there!
    So he called DMC and ordered another Upper Engine Cover. They sent him Louvers...hasn't been right since.

My VIN:    16795

There is supposed to be a threaded insert in the engine cover. Delorean part number 100597A, but I'm pretty sure it's just a standard insert. I seem to remember using one I had left over from some other project that happened to have the right thread size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    There is supposed to be a threaded insert in the engine cover. Delorean part number 100597A, but I'm pretty sure it's just a standard insert. I seem to remember using one I had left over from some other project that happened to have the right thread size.
    The insert is what I need. When I called DMC, I said I needed the catch and the thing it threaded into. They sent me the nut. Just as well. I think I can thread a piece of aluminum and epoxy it in. Still, the whole thing seems kind of weak.

For you other guys, I looked up the definition of "hood" and one of them was "the hinged cover to an automotive engine." No mention of front or back.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    The insert is what I need. When I called DMC, I said I needed the catch and the thing it threaded into. They sent me the nut. Just as well. I think I can thread a piece of aluminum and epoxy it in. Still, the whole thing seems kind of weak.

For you other guys, I looked up the definition of "hood" and one of them was "the hinged cover to an automotive engine." No mention of front or back.
    Since we're being pedantic, the DeLorean arguably has 2 of those.

In any case, my louver no longer catches. I've yet to try adjusting the metal loop which is slightly askew.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Since we're being pedantic, the DeLorean arguably has 2 of those.

In any case, my louver no longer catches. I've yet to try adjusting the metal loop which is slightly askew.
    I adjusted my loop and if you lift the louvre without pushing the release, it will bring the engine cover up with it. But only so far and then it comes crashing down.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Unless the bonnet latch catches the catch on the hood, the release cable will not release the cover until all the goats are directly in line with each other before the first full moon.

This thread.....reminds me of

Electric Concerto's DeLorean road trip.

I don't know why except they were both utter failures.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

So I came up with a solution to my latch. I drilled and tapped the hood for 3/8" NC. I took a stainless 3/8" bolt and drilled a hole through the center.

IMG_0489.jpg

Then I tapped the hole for the threads on the catch. Installed the bolt from the top and the catch in the bottom.

IMG_0490.jpg

Some won't like the bolt on the top, but I'm fine with it. It's very strong and easy to adjust the height closed. It nice because if my T-handle ever fails, I can unthread the bolt from the top.

IMG_0491.jpg