Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Obvious spring cutting safety concerns aside, you can rent spring compressors for free from auto zone, oreilly, advance auto, etc.

Plus when you remove the springs intact you could actually make a few bucks selling them instead of throwing the cut up scraps into the bin. Not that there is a huge market for stock front springs, but still.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt cutting the springs and that the rest of your installation of the coilovers went alright.

My only other concern would be that removing the spring perches from the LCA's may have weakened them due to the loss of material, and any slight nicks, cuts, or gouges you may have introduced into the remaining sheet metal. The stock LCA's are not the most robust parts to begin with so adding stress concentration points could potentially lead to cracks or fatigue failure later on down the road.

I know DPI sells their own stainless LCA's without the spring perch for their coilover setup, but those are significantly beefed up in material thickness and there were several rounds of testing and revisions to that design.
I had thought about the strength lost from the spring cup. DPI mentioned I might want to remove it. Now that I've worked on these, I have to say they are pretty Mickey Mouse. (Even with the cup) I might have to buy a new set from DPI. I really think I could make a good set quite easily. Right now I have too much on my plate to work on it.