FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas pump nozzle

My VIN:    5625

Gas pump nozzle

Quick question -

Does anyone ever have the issue with setting the gas pump nozzle on the first notch while fueling your car, and the car not shutting off the nozzle when the tank is full? This is the second time I was brave enough to try and once the tank was full it just ended shooting gas up everywhere around the trunk. Hard to look cool at the gas pump with gas squirting all over the place. I had the nozzle inserted all the way into the fuel reservoir. Anyone have experience with this?

Thx
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Quick question -

Does anyone ever have the issue with setting the gas pump nozzle on the first notch while fueling your car, and the car not shutting off the nozzle when the tank is full? This is the second time I was brave enough to try and once the tank was full it just ended shooting gas up everywhere around the trunk. Hard to look cool at the gas pump with gas squirting all over the place. I had the nozzle inserted all the way into the fuel reservoir. Anyone have experience with this?

Thx

If you search the forum you’ll find this is fairly common. Some pumps are more sensitive than others as far as the automatic shut off is concerned. Two things you can do:

Make sure the nozzle is not open all the way. The slower the fuel is dispensed, the more likely you’ll trigger the auto shutoff in a timely manner.

Use a different gas station. Some stations equipment just isn’t well suited to the DeLorean fuel system. There is one station near me that I avoid for this very reason.

My VIN:    3937

Also, don't stick the nozzle into the opening all the way. Leave it back just a small amount.

Years ago I did some work on my fuel pump and afterwards did not get the rubber boot and assembly all the way down snug where it should have been. That created a small air gap where the pressure in the tank could escape instead of pushing back on the gas coming out of the nozzle (and it is that back pressure on the gas pump that's needed to trigger the auto shut off). First fill up didn't stop itself and it poured all out and over the top of the fuel pump. Nice mess. I really had to push down forcefully on the rubber boot to get it to seal properly. No issues after that. So another thing you can double check.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I've had this happen a time or two early on in my ownership. I've learned to just do it manually and stop when it's near full. I don't trust it to shut off on it's own, and really dislike wiping up gas.

I was wondering about this too. I haven't done it yet, but I expect I will. I don't mind doing it manual. But, even doing it manual, it is tough to control. Because the tank is so small, you always want it full. I was really hoping someone had a trick.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you fill it all the way up make sure you have no leaks around the fuel pump or sender. On one car that had a really bad fuel smell, the original sender leaked at the rivets. Most cars leak at the seal between the tank and sender and many have bad boots for the fuel pump with the original pump set-up. The upper boot is not supposed to be in contact with fuel but if the inner one leaks the outer (upper) boot won't seal tight because the fuel hoses run through it. Even though the tank is small, a Delorean in good tune gets 25 MPG or better. That's over 300 miles on a tank.
    David Teitelbaum

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The trick is to position the handle parallel to the length of the car, not perpendicular like everything else you would normally fill up.

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    The trick is to position the handle parallel to the length of the car, not perpendicular like everything else you would normally fill up.
    Interesting...
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yeah.... no no no. I just take note of how much gas is on the gauge and do the math. If I'm at half full, I'm only going to dump 5 gallons in to be safe.

I'll be damned if I dump some fuel and have to smell fuel for the next 2 hours lol
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

I thought I would revive this with something new. I noticed the last couple times I screwed up and had the pump running full tilt and it clicked off without spilling a drop. I got to looking in my fill tube and there is another tube inside of it. It is made of black plastic. It is kind of funnel shaped. The diameter is neerly the full hose at the top and goes down to about 1". I can reach in with my fingers and lift it some. But it is too big to go through the metal part.

I looked on the parts diagram at DMC and they don't even show the fill tube. So I don't know if it is stock or not. Do you guys got this? I wonder if it stops the pump quicker. It may be there to allow the fuel to go in quicker. (Air vents around it)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast