FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinted glass

Tinted glass

I'm thinking of some tint on the side windows to help the AC and some on the rear side windows to hide dirt.

It would be nice to have that rear area clean, but I live on a dirt road. Red clay dust goes in my louvers and sits in the area behind the glass in just one mile to the paved road. In Florida there's no legal headakes, but I don't want "limo" tint anyways. I'm thinking just a bit reflective, so someone can't see the dust easy. I do use those windows while driving.

Up front I was thinking of tint on the sides except for the moving windows. Is that going to look weird? Has anybody got pics of tinted window Deloreans?

My VIN:    6125

My car had dark tint on the side windows and rear quarter windows when I bought it. I've since removed it from the quarter glass because it was starting to peel from the heat of the engine. It was poor quality tint to begin with and started turning purple and getting wavy. It also made visibility at night difficult.

The door windows are still tinted but that will eventually get removed and replaced with something not so dark. I'll also plan to re-tint the quarter glass with probably 50% tint. If I had to guess the old tint was around 30%.

I found some old pics where the rear quarters were still tinted:

Here's one after the rear tint was removed and you can compare to the doors.

Last edited by Mark D; 05-19-2021 at 09:42 AM.

So it looks like you have tint on the toll booth windows. Are they scraped up? (Mine seem like they are really tight seals)

Edit, did the rear tint keep you from seeing dirt/dust? It would seem like even light tint would do the job. I talked to a tint guy and he is recommending 30 %. He says that is legal. (But as I mentioned, nobody in FL gets tickets for tint) Funny, while I was there a cop was getting limo tint. He told me they use tint as a reason to stop people, but they have orders not to issue tickets.

Second edit, I believe the higher the percent, the darker the tint.
    Last edited by Helirich; 05-19-2021 at 10:09 AM.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So it looks like you have tint on the toll booth windows. Are they scraped up? (Mine seem like they are really tight seals)

Edit, did the rear tint keep you from seeing dirt/dust? It would seem like even light tint would do the job. I talked to a tint guy and he is recommending 30 %. He says that is legal. (But as I mentioned, nobody in FL gets tickets for tint) Funny, while I was there a cop was getting limo tint. He told me they use tint as a reason to stop people, but they have orders not to issue tickets.

Second edit, I believe the higher the percent, the darker the tint.
    Yes, the toll booth windows are also tinted. It would probably look really odd to only tint the fixed portion. The tint is not scraped up at all the section that moves. If your windows are rubbing you should be able to make some adjustments, or you may have to replace the felt seals.

When the rear quarter glass was tinted it did help hide any dirt that would have normally been visible on the rear pontoons and engine cover. I also liked that it hid the orange color of the window defogger lines on the main rear window.

Tint is measured in how much light is able to be transmitted through it. IE 80% tint appears lighter and allows more light through than 5% tint which is darker.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have original tinting from before 1992 on mine. still looks great.

20210516_093849.jpg

Looks nice

My VIN:    16563

I love tint for all reasons. I always take my cars to get tinted including the windshield. However I have to say the on my Delorean, I just like the the clear windows and open view through the car. I may change my mind for all the practical reasons. Who knows
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

Quote Originally Posted by artisticent View Post
    I love tint for all reasons. I always take my cars to get tinted including the windshield. However I have to say the on my Delorean, I just like the the clear windows and open view through the car. I may change my mind for all the practical reasons. Who knows
    I agree it looks kind of futuristic with the clear glass. (Funny to say that about a antique) But I hate dirt/dust in those back windows. They also get water drops on the inside. On the side windows, there's just not enough AC to make up for sun on the side of my face and shoulder.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Tint in Florida is a must. I have 15% ceramic on the side, and 85% ceramic on the windshield. I didn't tint the rear window.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

That looks really sharp. I don't know if I want the windshield tinted. I'll wait and see how the sides come out. I have an appointment in a few days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast