FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tinted glass

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I just made an appointment to get the windshield done. I removed the mirror and I'm going to install a differnt one that just has the small "puck" glued to the glass. That way he can do a good job on the tint. I also made brackets for a gps and radar detector so I don't have any suction cups on the glass.

Im courious, have you felt the dash when the sun is shining? I'm hoping the tint will stop the dash from cracking. My dash is good, but that sun is so strong when the car is not in the garage. Is your dash good? Do you have any dash cover?
    If you haven't yet glued the replacement mirro mount in place I would highly recommend against it. It's pretty well documented on these cars that glue-on rear view mirrors are known to crack windshields. I'm not exactly sure why, but double stick VHB tape is the safer way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Impulse View Post
    Looks great. Are there chrome tits??
    On 1955 Cadillacs, yes.

On DeLoreans, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    If you haven't yet glued the replacement mirro mount in place I would highly recommend against it. It's pretty well documented on these cars that glue-on rear view mirrors are known to crack windshields. I'm not exactly sure why, but double stick VHB tape is the safer way to go.
    When I got the car, the mirror was in the box of extra parts. I don't know if the windshield is new, but it looks new. Anyways, I glued the mirror on. Later, when I decided to tint the windshield, I removed it with a heatgun as per goggle. I didn't like that mirror anyways, so I got one out of the junkyard. It has the removable stalk with just the puck glued on. When I pulled the mirror at the yard, a piece of glass came with. (No heat gun) I removed the glass chips and glued it on the D. I hope it doesn't hurt the windshield. I guess I could just take the mirror off. (It's not a lot of use, anyways.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    When I got the car, the mirror was in the box of extra parts. I don't know if the windshield is new, but it looks new. Anyways, I glued the mirror on. Later, when I decided to tint the windshield, I removed it with a heatgun as per goggle. I didn't like that mirror anyways, so I got one out of the junkyard. It has the removable stalk with just the puck glued on. When I pulled the mirror at the yard, a piece of glass came with. (No heat gun) I removed the glass chips and glued it on the D. I hope it doesn't hurt the windshield. I guess I could just take the mirror off. (It's not a lot of use, anyways.
    Mark is right. The pad allows for glass movement with temp changes. Gluing it will most likely result in a cracked windscreen.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

On 1955 Cadillacs, yes.

On DeLoreans, no.

Lmao!!! Tints. I mean, tints ��

Those are some real torpedos btw

Is there a thread on this subject? Was the stock mirror not glued on? Did the factory come out with a recomdation to change it. To be honest, this thread is the first I've heard of it. (That doesn't mean anything). About the only thing I can think of that would be differnt is the extreme slant of our windshield. Maybe the weight of the mirror pulling more perpendicular to the glass over bumps?

On the second point, this is the first I've heard of "Very high bond" tape. Has this been used successfully on mirrors. From what I'm reading, it appears there is some movement there. Doesn't seem like it would be good for a mirror. But if that's what everybody is using.

I really would like more info on this. I need to make a decision.

The stock mirror is stuck on with double sided foam tape from the factory. Here is what DMCH currently sells, along with the warning on the page.

https://store.delorean.com/111976-in...irror-pad.html

There are a few threads on the board where cracked windshields are mentioned due to using glue. I found this one, if you do some searching there are more.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?62...ar-view-mirror

I did a lot of reading there. I wish I had seen that earlier. It does appear that the issue is glueing a mirror that is designed for tape. The large surface area being the problem. I sure am glad that I removed my stock mirror. (Because I glued it) But that still leaves me with the small button style mirror on there. I have less fear about it, but I think I will be looking for a replacement. My stock mirror had a loose ball on it. So I can't reinstall it.

Thanks for the link!

Small update,

I got the ceramic tint on the windshield today. I can verify it is nearly clear. The only way you can tell it's tinted is by opening the door and comparing with open sky. As far as cooling, it wasn't sunny enough to tell yet.

My VIN:    3028

I recently had a window protection film installed with a UV block in it. It is clear and I didn’t even know it was installed. The car was at a garage getting some work done and while they were waiting for a part the installer put it on and only called me later to tell me.

I am not sure how much protection it will actually provide against rock chips which is a big problem here in Alberta, but I am hopeful.
    Barry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast