FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solvent resistant paint

My VIN:    03572

Solvent resistant paint

I am looking for a black spray can paint that is resistant to solvents and gasoline. I tried VHT epoxy paint but it does not pass my test of wiping with a solvent and the paint comes off on my paper towel. So it's not really epoxy paint. You need to have two parts (hardener and the resin) to have real epoxy. I see Eastwood sell a spray can that has two parts in the can and you mix it when your ready to paint but then you have to use the whole can.

Polyurethane I'm pretty sure would work but I can't find black in a spray can. You can only buy clear.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Dave, this is a useful topic for anyone restoring a DeLorean and is my main complaint about the commonly-used SEM trim black - it’s much lower grade than conventional auto paint and does not have the same chemical or physical durability.

There are a few pro painters on this forum who can probably suggest a good starting point. Michael Maupin, for instance. Or painterdave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    15275

hi

what were you wanting to spray with it?? you can reduce and spray por 15 but then would still need to topcoat if i was going to be exposed to the sun... yeah sem is nice but does come off with laquer thinner etc... there are a few others but i would have to do some research at work on monday..

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    what were you wanting to spray with it?? you can reduce and spray por 15 but then would still need to topcoat if i was going to be exposed to the sun... yeah sem is nice but does come off with laquer thinner etc... there are a few others but i would have to do some research at work on monday..
    My HVAC circuit boards need some black paint around the push button switches so you don't see the green circuit board. I ordered the last batch of boards with black silkscreen in that area but the result was to transparent. So I could paint that area before I populate the boards but I have to wash the flux off the boards in solvent. Any way painting parts of the car would be nice to be solvent resistant.

I could probably mix up poly and coloring but painting small areas just makes to much work with cleaning up the spray gun.
    Dave M vin 03572

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

VHT probably means "Very High Temp" and those paints need to be brought up to temp(say 300 degrees plus) for a specified amount of time to cure so it would melt your boards before even beginning to get to temp.

I would recommend any high quality paint that is lacquer based but it will need to be top coated with a 2 part clear(or anything as long as it's 2 part). This would make it resistant but not bulletproof.

You might try Cerakote or Duracoat. These are mainly used in firearm coatings but can be used for pretty much anything( I rebuilt a watch case with it). It's ultra thin, ultra hard and durable, and the oven cured stuff is impervious to any chemical. They make a line that does not have to be cured in an oven and is air dry only but should work for your application. It's thin so it will have to be sprayed. Harbor Freight carries an awesome touch up gun that is perfect for this kind of work. .6mm tip with a good pattern and it's under 20 bucks. I use a lot of them.

16217012258121694546039568125216.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 05-22-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Have you tried Brake Caliper Paint? - it is formulated to stand up pretty well to brake fluid.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I just had this conversation recently at a PPG location because I was trying to paint my motorcycle's gas tank. Bottom line, there is no single part spray can paint that is going to resist gasoline. Anything solvent based will always dissolve when exposed to a solvent, and gasoline is a very strong solvent.

You have to use a product that is catalyst based (2 part). It's the only option.

At my local PPG, they sell these "EZ-Spray" cans that they fill in-house with whatever paint you ask for. The can has a catalyst based paint suspended in one chamber, and a catalyst in another, and when you release the catalyst (press the button on the underside of the can), it mixes and begins setting up. From then you've got about an hour to use the can. So far I've only used their clear coat, but they told me they can do it for any of their automotive paints. Each time the can has run around $20.

I've done this to two motorcycle tanks now and the results have been great. It has stood up to multiple instances of gasoline spilling on the tank and had no sign of damage.
    1.5.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

That's really cool. (The old Honda too)

I think polyurethane paint would work but I will have to test it. Air planes use poly. It's hard to spray for a perfect finish but I will try a can of brush on first.
    Dave M vin 03572

I'm testing another paint. STEEL-IT Which claims to be Polyurethane and is offered in black. I did my normal light first coat and a second coat 5 minuets later. This paint covers real good. Probably the best I've seen. Looks like a little orange peal. Will do my solvent test after a few days of drying.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast