FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic drain plug has metal splinters on it

My VIN:    10207

Question Magnetic drain plug has metal splinters on it

Hi guys,

I'm changing the transmission and final drive oil and they both came out and looked like this:
    DSC_0341.jpg
    Normal, problematic, catastrophic?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I would say normal. As long as there are not any chunks, having a "fuzzy magnet" is par for the course. Do you have another magnet either in the pan or on the filter?

If not, swing by your local hardware store and pick up a pack of small ones. I put 2 ceramic magnets on my filter and one or 2 neodymium magnets in my pan. I would be concerned if there were a lot of "fuzz" on all of them to the point that all 4 looked like a chiapet, but that looks like a pretty small plug magnet.

If you really have time, cut your old filter apart and post pics noting the mileage. I would be very interested to see the pickup screen(the part you can't see through the pickup passage).
    Last edited by Michael; 05-23-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would say normal. As long as there are not any chunks, having a "fuzzy magnet" is par for the course. Do you have another magnet either in the pan or on the filter?

If not, swing by your local hardware store and pick up a pack of small ones. I put 2 ceramic magnets on my filter and one or 2 neodymium magnets in my pan. I would be concerned if there were a lot of "fuzz" on all of them to the point that all 4 looked like a chiapet, but that looks like a pretty small plug magnet.

If you really have time, cut your old filter apart and post pics noting the mileage. I would be very interested to see the pickup screen(the part you can't see through the pickup passage).
    Thanks, I have one in the pan. Maybe I should drop the pan and have a look, now that the oil is out?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Thanks, I have one in the pan. Maybe I should drop the pan and have a look, now that the oil is out?
    No sense in dropping the pan unless you plan on changing the filter.

No sense in dropping the pan unless you plan on changing the filter.
    Roger. Did that last year. That's not a yearly thing, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Roger. Did that last year. That's not a yearly thing, is it?
    According to the manual, the trans gets serviced every 12k miles or 12 months (whichever comes first). I don't think a full service (replacing the filter) is needed as it's an all metal filter with nothing to wear out. Time really shouldn't play a part in filter replacement unless the car has just sat for years and years.

I replace my trans fuid every other oil change and drop the pan and replace the filter maybe once every 10k miles but I have yet to put 10k miles on my car since replacing my old OE filter a few years ago.
    For most of us that don't really drive often, time accumulates quicker than mileage so factor that into your fluid change intervals, especially brake fluid and coolant.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

How many miles on the fluid? I would not want to see that much ferrous metal in 1,000 miles but that would be OK at 10,000 miles. There should also be a magnet in the pan and you would have to see how much is stuck to that one too. You really should not see much at all in the final drive. I would keep an eye on it and do another change soon and see if you are still making metal.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    How many miles on the fluid? I would not want to see that much ferrous metal in 1,000 miles but that would be OK at 10,000 miles. There should also be a magnet in the pan and you would have to see how much is stuck to that one too. You really should not see much at all in the final drive. I would keep an eye on it and do another change soon and see if you are still making metal.
    It has 5500 miles on it since last year where I changed filter and oil. Roger. I'll have a look on the magnet in the pan.
    I have had an intermittent problem with the gearbox shifting erratically after that oil change, but only at low-medium speed and only when warm.

According to the manual, the trans gets serviced every 12k miles or 12 months (whichever comes first). I don't think a full service (replacing the filter) is needed as it's an all metal filter with nothing to wear out. Time really shouldn't play a part in filter replacement unless the car has just sat for years and years.

I replace my trans fuid every other oil change and drop the pan and replace the filter maybe once every 10k miles but I have yet to put 10k miles on my car since replacing my old OE filter a few years ago.
    For most of us that don't really drive often, time accumulates quicker than mileage so factor that into your fluid change intervals, especially brake fluid and coolant.
    Thanks, I think I should have a look, not only because the transmission is still empty, but also because I drive the car fairly much and would like to drive it a lot more. I'd feel stupid if I wrecked the gear box.

DSC_0348.jpg
    DSC_0349.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg

Filter looks clean-ish, magnets covered in a very thin layer of blackish residue. We happy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast