Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Magnetic drain plug has metal splinters on it

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Attachment 66412
    Attachment 66413
    Attachment 66414

Filter looks clean-ish, magnets covered in a very thin layer of blackish residue. We happy?
    I wouldn't give it much thought
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is no way to check the filter unless you cut it open. What you are looking for is the debris load of friction materiel to judge how much life is left on the friction discs in the clutch packs. There should be a minimal amount of non-ferrous metal but some is normal. There should be very little ferrous metal. Because you can't drain all of the fluid out, it is difficult to judge how much debris you accumulate. 5500 miles is not a lot so you should not accumulate much but since you said the trans is slipping, you can accumulate a lot, quickly. Check your line pressure. If it is good and you still are slipping, the trans is on it's way out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10207

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check your line pressure. If it is good and you still are slipping, the trans is on it's way out.
    What line pressure, where?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You need a pressure gauge and there is a procedure in the Workshop Manual to measure the line pressure. You remove a plug on the front of the transmission near the pump. you can adjust it a little by turning the vacuum modulator but if the filter is plugged up it wont help.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You need a pressure gauge and there is a procedure in the Workshop Manual to measure the line pressure. You remove a plug on the front of the transmission near the pump. you can adjust it a little by turning the vacuum modulator but if the filter is plugged up it wont help.
    Roger - got it.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

Question Torque values?

Putting the new filter in and and the pan back on. The only torque settings I can find for the Aut. transmission suggests 26 lb. ft. / 36Nm of torque for the 10mm bolts that hold on the filter and the pan. Is that correct? That feels like a lot of force to put on that small bolt, so I haven't tightened them down yet.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Looks like 'from one extreme to another' to me, but here it is:

4141PanBoltTorque .jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Looks like 'from one extreme to another' to me, but here it is:

4141PanBoltTorque .jpg
    Thanks a lot!! Guess which page is missing from my workshop manual. It's there, but it's just blank.
    But it's correct in the hybrid PDF! Guess I'll have to print my own damn manual.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2