FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Hazard switch

My VIN:    5483

Troubleshooting Hazard switch

Greetings! I'm troubleshooting but learning all about 12v electrical and wiring diagrams all at the same time...
    Hazard switch blows Fuse 6 with the battery cut-off turned on and no key in the ignition. Doesn't blow when the switch is unplugged. Using a test light at the plug (not the switch), it lights up on pin 2 with the ignition off, and lights up on pins 1 and 2 with the key turned just before hitting the ignition start position. Does this mean my wiring is good and my switch is bad? Thanks in advance!HazardSwitch-Bulb.jpg

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaRacer View Post
    Greetings! I'm troubleshooting but learning all about 12v electrical and wiring diagrams all at the same time...
    Hazard switch blows Fuse 6 with the battery cut-off turned on and no key in the ignition. Doesn't blow when the switch is unplugged. Using a test light at the plug (not the switch), it lights up on pin 2 with the ignition off, and lights up on pins 1 and 2 with the key turned just before hitting the ignition start position. Does this mean my wiring is good and my switch is bad? Thanks in advance!HazardSwitch-Bulb.jpg
    Does it do this with the hazard switch turned on AND off?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Does it do this with the hazard switch turned on AND off?
    Yes, it doesn't matter if the switch is turned off or on. As soon as I turn the battery cut-off on, it blows the fuse. A few fuses ago, it worked briefly, turned on and off a couple of times then blew. Now it just blows the fuse without even touching the switch, whether it's on or off.
    Last edited by JavaRacer; 05-26-2021 at 08:56 PM.

It does it with the switch turned off. As soon as I turn the battery cut-off on, it blows the fuse. A few fuses ago, it worked briefly, turned on and off a couple of times then blew. Now it just blows the fuse without even touching the switch.
    Ok, first to be clear, you are showing power on the socket (not the plug) when checking from ground to pin #2 whenever the battery is connected and the key off or turned to run. And it does not blow fuse #6 when the hazard switch is off. Correct?

My VIN:    03500

Just a thought here. Did you replace the bulb? If the wires to the bulb aren't perfectly aligned they could short out. I would pull the bulb and see what happens. If there is one ofcourse.

Dave B.

Hehe, Just saw your edit...

Ok, pin #4 is being shorted to ground blowing fuse #6. Pin #6's connection between Pins #4/#5 is swapped when the switch is cycled. When the hazard switch is off, pin #4 is not connected to anything, so suspect a short internal to the hazard switch. Confirm by checking continuity between pins #4 and #7.

Something odd- the socket's pin #2 should not have a wire going to it (unless it is part of the brake light wiring change....trying to remember it.)
    What color is the wire going to pin #2?

Ok, first to be clear, you are showing power on the socket (not the plug) when checking from ground to pin #2 whenever the battery is connected and the key off or turned to run. And it does not blow fuse #6 when the hazard switch is off. Correct?
    Ahhh, yes! The SOCKET! Thanks! And, yes, correct! Although I am using a test light, grounded to the ground point on the radio bracket, NOT the ground pin in the socket, to be clear. And it does not blow fuse 6.
    Pus, when the key is turned to run, I also get power on pin 1.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Just a thought here. Did you replace the bulb? If the wires to the bulb aren't perfectly aligned they could short out. I would pull the bulb and see what happens. If there is one ofcourse.
    Dave B.
    I did replace the bulb with an LED. But swapped in an orginal incandescent to see what would happen. Still blew the fuse. I'll give it a shot with no bulb and see what happens, although I would think that would more likely affect Fuse 8, rather than 6, no?

Hehe, Just saw your edit...

Ok, pin #4 is being shorted to ground blowing fuse #6. Pin #6's connection between Pins #4/#5 is swapped when the switch is cycled. When the hazard switch is off, pin #4 is not connected to anything, so suspect a short internal to the hazard switch. Confirm by checking continuity between pins #4 and #7.

Something odd- the socket's pin #2 should not have a wire going to it (unless it is part of the brake light wiring change....trying to remember it.)
    What color is the wire going to pin #2?
    Pins and colors in the socket are as follows...
    1 - Green
    2 - Purple AND Black (2 wires)
    3 - Red
    4 - nothing
    5 - Yellow AND Green w/ Brown Stripe (2 wires)
    6 - Green w/red
    7 - Green w/white
    9 - Black
    10 - Green w/white

Pins and colors in the socket are as follows...
    1 - Green
    2 - Purple AND Black (2 wires)
    3 - Red
    4 - nothing
    5 - Yellow AND Green w/ Brown Stripe (2 wires)
    6 - Green w/red
    7 - Green w/white
    9 - Black
    10 - Green w/white
    That's not like the schematic you posted or anything I have seen. In any case, purple to black is a dead short.

Note there are green and light green wires...

(still looking...)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast