FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Where to get power

Where to get power

I installed another cigarette lighter to the left of my barnical. I got power to it from some plugs for the door lights. (They don't work) I would like to get them working and I have some other electrical projects in the future, so I don't really like tapping into existing devices. I would like to run a new fused wire up to a small busbar in front where I could run stuff off of. The question is where to get the power. At this point, I'm thinking of the jumper cable stud. Is there a better location? I don't see anything real handy at the fuse area. But maybe I'm missing something.

Also, I haven't studied it yet, but can the "dummy" switches just be replaced with new live ones from DMC? Or is it more involved than that?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I installed another cigarette lighter to the left of my barnical. I got power to it from some plugs for the door lights. (They don't work) I would like to get them working and I have some other electrical projects in the future, so I don't really like tapping into existing devices. I would like to run a new fused wire up to a small busbar in front where I could run stuff off of. The question is where to get the power. At this point, I'm thinking of the jumper cable stud. Is there a better location? I don't see anything real handy at the fuse area. But maybe I'm missing something.

Also, I haven't studied it yet, but can the "dummy" switches just be replaced with new live ones from DMC? Or is it more involved than that?
    There are some wires that are either constantly hot, or have switched power; off hand I believe purple is usually fused live 12v all the time, and brown is un-fused 12v all the time. Personally though I'm not a fan of tapping off of existing circuits for accessories. I've always gone back to the battery and created my own circuit for accessories. That way I can size the wiring correctly, fuse it accordingly, utilize relays accordingly, etc. Plus it makes troubleshooting later on easier.

And yes, its common for people to buy defroster switches from DMCH and repurpose them for other things. They will fit perfectly in the dummy spots.

Also if you're doing electrical stuff and haven't looked at it already, this threads breakouts of the circuity is a fantastic resource:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ing-Schematics

And of course the full color wiring diagram is also helpful:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...wiring-diagram

Thankyou,

Those schematics are nice. I think my manual has them, but they are black and white.