FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Evaporator Replacement? Read this.

My VIN:    Early

Evaporator Replacement? Read this.

For anyone in the future looking to replace the evaporator core...

There is a mesh screen on the clean side of the evaporator core. You MUST transfer it over to the new one. Why?

Well, you will get water droplets in your face with the A/C on.

I learned the hard way (3rd time pulling the box), and worst of all, I tossed the original mesh screen long ago. It is no longer available from DMCH. Some GM dealers still have one laying around but with them being discontinued, you are unlikely to find new in the future.

In my case, I decided to drive to my nearest junk yard and pull a screen off a Chevy Astro/GMC Safari. These newer screens are secured with plastic barbed rivets that catch in between the evaporator fins. More than half of GM vehicles from the 90s-early 2000s have these new style screens.

15BFE5C8-C896-4E00-9268-359826896A48.jpg
    Trimmed Astro mesh screen on DeLorean evaporator. Notice the push pins.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 05-30-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03572

I don't remember that screen when I cleaned my evaporator box. But that was right after I bought the car 13 years ago so it may have been there.

I've never felt water on my face with the AC running.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

great tip! thank you for sharing. I need to replace my evaporator soon, its is a hervey xref one that is too small. Does not preform that well.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    11596

Looks like you could just put a couple of layers of window screen over it and it would do the trick?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Looks like you could just put a couple of layers of window screen over it and it would do the trick?
    Nop it’s a wavy stainless wire mesh. Window screen would fall apart.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10309

I replaced my evaporator this winter and used the original screen. IIRC it is in place to prevent ice from forming on the evaporator. If there were water
    droplets formed anywhere in the evaporator case, they would drip down to the drain and onto the ground through the hose. I don't think it possible for actual water droplets to be brought up to the fan and out into the car. I have 2 wire mesh drip screens if anyone needs one. Not for hoarding but for actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    I replaced my evaporator this winter and used the original screen. IIRC it is in place to prevent ice from forming on the evaporator. If there were water
    droplets formed anywhere in the evaporator case, they would drip down to the drain and onto the ground through the hose. I don't think it possible for actual water droplets to be brought up to the fan and out into the car. I have 2 wire mesh drip screens if anyone needs one. Not for hoarding but for actual use.
    Definitely is possible. I had water go everywhere except the drain when I left it off.

The massive force of air carries those droplets wherever. Had some of it go to face, and the rest of it found it’s way to the case seams, where it would drip inside the car...

My VIN:    10309

The case seams are supposed to be air tight in order for the fan to develop enough pressure to push air through the evaporator and into the car. If you're getting water through the seams they are not sealed correctly. Also make sure the drain line isn't kinked allowing water to collect instead of draining immediately. I still say it's impossible for water to get to the fan and blow into the car. There is even a drain at the bottom of the fan casing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    The case seams are supposed to be air tight in order for the fan to develop enough pressure to push air through the evaporator and into the car. If you're getting water through the seams they are not sealed correctly. Also make sure the drain line isn't kinked allowing water to collect instead of draining immediately. I still say it's impossible for water to get to the fan and blow into the car. There is even a drain at the bottom of the fan casing.
    Problem is, if you leave the screen off, the condensation from the evaporator will be carried by the massive air pressure and accumulate in various areas in the box. For me, it accumulated and leaked where the heater control arm is. No way to fully seal that one.

The rest of the water made it through the vents.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Nop it’s a wavy stainless wire mesh. Window screen would fall apart.
    They do make aluminum window screen material...

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!