FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cap screw??

cap screw??

Hi was wondering if anyone knows where these two large cap screws go. I replaced water pump and don't remember where I took them off of. Thanks Gabriel 20210531_151958.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Hi was wondering if anyone knows where these two large cap screws go. I replaced water pump and don't remember where I took them off of....
    Those look like Torx drive cap screws. I don't recall any of those being used as factory spec fasteners on DeLoreans. A previous owner may have used them in place of Allen head cap screws.

In any case you'd like to reinstall them. Are they M6 threads? There are lots of M6 Allen head cap screws on various K-Jetronic pieces around the intake manifold, including the idle speed motor bracket, all around the air meter box including its two support brackets to the manifold and the cold start valve. Maybe elsewhere, too.

Hope you find them a home.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If memory serves, back in the day the 5 waterpump back screws were very very hard to find. I think they had a weird flat head like those. I suppose replacements have been sourced since those darker days but it's possible those were from your old waterpump back and the new pump included replacements? I don't know, just thinking out loud.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    16409

The water pump back bolts are metric 7. They were an Allen Head type bolt. It's hard to find an Allen head in M7. You can use standard hex head M7 bolts but you'll need a longer 11mm wrench or crows-foot to tighten them down. A socket won't fit. DeLorean Go has had some M7 stainless Allen head bolts made up. Those are the most ideal as most other vendors only sell Black Oxide bolts.

6C8D0CAE-A267-4423-B10A-90621FF0B0EF.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 06-03-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Cap screws?

Thanks for your help guys. I also did work on inside doors could it be from there? They are gigantic I think m14....

Cap screws?

When I get home I will take a pic next to a ruler, "Gigantor Bots"!!!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Thanks for your help guys. I also did work on inside doors could it be from there? They are gigantic I think m14....
    I believe the latch assemblies are held in by gigantor bolts.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

cap screws

Here are some other pics maybe this will help someone to recognize them. The smaller is a M7 to give you an idea of how big these are. Thanks IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0749.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Do not recognize them as being original. Not unusual to find non-original hardware on old cars.
    David Teitelbaum

cap screws

Well I will keep my fingers crossed tomorrow when I start it up and take it for a test drive. Thanks for your help guys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast